Thread: Add-ons not working due to certificate expiration

How to disable ALL server-side add-on verification? I do not want my browsing to depend on ANYTHING that happens on your servers or your organization. When I install an addon, I have the right to use it and you have NO SAY in that. If I am not sure whether to trust it, I will review the code myself. I will definitely not trust you. I do not want your “help”. I want to decide for myself. Or do I have to patch and recompile just to accomplish THAT?

Well. what I learned from this.

I really do not want to use the web without my privacy plugins
Spectacular f-ups like this are rare on mozilla’s part
F-ups like this do not seem to happen with chrome.

I’ve been a happy firefox user since before it was firefox. Firebird fledging to leave the nest and get a stable beta out there. I cant remember being so handicapped by this browser.
Until recently I liked the direction mozilla was taking with this browser, now I am less sure. I’m going to wait to see what the explanation was for this incident. After that I may switch to another branch of FF or, very reluctantly, decide to leave this browser.

I’m also having the same issue. All the add-ons were removed and whenever I try to install any add-on, I get a pop-up message saying, “Download failed. Please check your connection”, even though I’m network connectivity is perfect. I have also found out that the themes are also having the same problem.

I just hope the the mozilla team will fix this issue in the earliest possible time.

roll it back, firefox

if it’s broke, revert to a working version until it ain’t

“security” is not an issue when your loyal users abandon you

i would have liked the chance to scrape my adblock plus scripts for transfer to an alternative browser in the interim, but access has been denied to apprently make me safer

i love fiirefox, and have been a dedicated and enthusiatic user for over a decade, but this is a major disincentive until you sort it out

roll it back ! please !!

Thanks – I’m Community Support there – however it’s not yet clear whether users of Waterfox have regained the ability to install from addons.mozilla.org.

Related, in the Waterfox subreddit:

I recommend waiting until after Mozilla bug 1548973 is fixed:

Every add-on on my side got disabled this morning (CEST, GMT+2) when I woke up my laptop then opened a new tab and saw that warning message. I was unable to figure out why that happened then I wanted to check if I could install any new add-on.

I picked up one that I would like to try, i.e. Shortkeys and I was lucky to have it installed correctly and working fine.

Later on a Mozilla support page, I luckily noticed this thin notification bar below the address bar saying “Due to a certificate issue, add-ons are not working and will fail to install. We are currently working on this issue and you can track updates at…” and I jumped here!

So in a short every add-on disabled except the new one installed after the Mozilla Certificate issue and which is still working fine.

Regarding the certificate issue, I don’t agree with some complaining that they don’t want to have Mozilla keep control on their Firefox add-ons. IMHO, doing so is safe and secure because this allow Mozilla to guarantee integrity and authenticity of (code-signed) add-ons. Such a control prevent compromised or malicious add-ons to execute in our lovely browser.

And many thanks to the Mozilla dev and support teams to make our Web surf nice and secure. Keep up the good work.

Cheers to all from France

3 Likes

How long can it take to fix this??

Fixed since around 1 PM CEST on my side (France) and all extensions back and working fine :heart_eyes:

Many thanks to the Mozilla support and infra teams

2 Likes

та же проблема, все слетело, страшно зайти в интернет, такое ощущение что слетел иммунитет

Letting mozilla control my addons also means they can disable them whenever they feel like it. As happened earlier today.

Now… up until yesterday I had no issues with that. Today… I;m far less sure. This issue takes so LONG to fix that I’m having serious doubts if this was a simple “oops”

Same exact issue here. I have tried all the remedies posted here with no success. Maybe it is time to find another browser.

Not sure why a add-on like ADP was disabled when it is still available for download and was updated by the creator on April 19, 2019.

If this is not fixed within a few days I will seek another browser. Any suggestions?

See the instructions in

to get the hotfix. It may take some time to be applied if you already have studies enabled. Further, updates to all release channels are being worked on as a more permanent and reliable fix, as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes

works for me, although settings tells me “your organisation has disabled the ability to change some options”, although it’s a stand alsone desktop :thinking:

Mozilla Firefox 60.6.1 ESR (x64 en-GB)

Mozilla said on his alert page: " 12:50 p.m. UTC / 03:50 a.m. PDT: We rolled-out a fix for release, beta and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.".

AS PDT is UTC-7, Firefox European fans should read 10:50 AM UTC, e.g. 12:50 PM in France (UTC+2). As I posted just above, I could see a healthy and powerful Firefox back again around 1 PM (13:00 for my French mates) as declared by the Mozilla team

All Add-Ons are working fine for me on desktop, but can we please have a status update for Android?

You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

This pref does not exist on Android.

Edit: Just to clarify, they are still disabled in current Firefox Nightly for Android.

2 Likes

Well now it’s working but all my Multi-Account Containers are GONE!!!

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Addons still dead for me on desktop 66.0.3 w/ allow active.

I just checked about:studies on multiple devices and profiles. Some have hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973 and hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973 active, some don’t.

I assume both should be present? Can I trigger the installation somehow?

Fixed for me now. Thanks, Mozilla team!

@SJW Lol ‘trigger’

did you check to ensure that the devices are all set to apply updates automatically?