Add-on is missing bootstrap method install - beta version on trying to sync

I published a beta version of my add-on and was trying to test syncing but got the following errors to the browser console (in the FF profile to be synced -> the one that did not have the add-on installed):

1517580418249	addons.xpi	WARN	disabling legacy extension <addon-id>
1517580418498	addons.xpi	WARN	disabling legacy extension <addon-id>
1517580418504	addons.xpi	WARN	disabling legacy extension <addon-id>
1517580418527	addons.xpi	WARN	Error loading bootstrap.js for <addon-id>: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/1fjtennd.beta7-sync/extensions/<addon-id>.xpi!/bootstrap.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 9"  data: no] Stack trace: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/1fjtennd.beta7-sync/extensions/<addon-id>.xpi!/bootstrap.js:9 < loadBootstrapScope()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:4260 < callBootstrapMethod()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:4327 < startInstall/<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:1869 < waitForSyncCallback()@resource://services-common/async.js:97 < makeSpinningCallback/callback.wait()@resource://services-common/async.js:166 < create()@resource://services-sync/engines/addons.js:317 < applyIncoming()@resource://services-sync/engines.js:372
1517580418548	addons.xpi	WARN	Add-on <addon-id> is missing bootstrap method install
1517580418679	addons.xpi	WARN	Failed to remove temporary file C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp-cfo.xpi for addon https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/769359/<addonname>-2.1.1-an+fx-windows.xpi?src=sync: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm :: removeTemporaryFile :: line 1558"  data: no] Stack trace: removeTemporaryFile()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:1558 < startInstall/<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:1913 < waitForSyncCallback()@resource://services-common/async.js:97 < makeSpinningCallback/callback.wait()@resource://services-common/async.js:166 < create()@resource://services-sync/engines/addons.js:317 < applyIncoming()@resource://services-sync/engines.js:372

Is this because of the version being a beta version? What can I do to fix it in order to test the syncing functionality?

I assume <addon-id> is not your extension? Also, to test syncing you’d usually need the extension installed on both sides…

1 Like

<addon-id> i used as a placeholder - it’s the ID of my add-on to test

I try it again with the addon installed on both sides - thought they get installed automatically because this seems the case for some addons

Yes, if it’s a publicly listed extension on AMO they will get installed automatically. But it seems to try to install an ancient version of your extension.

1 Like

Nice, it works now (syncing between different devices - not 2 profiles on same device though)

Thanks a lot:slight_smile: