Adding tags

what is the correct way to add a tag.

1. Go to the editor.
  2. Scroll down.
  3. It will be below the editor view, but above the summary input field.

@uddinm30 hello, the correct way to add a tag is to follow the steps @exe-boss described (thanks :)) but also to follow the guidelines on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Contribute/Howto/Tag

If you have any doubt whether a tag is relevant or not, please ask. Too few tags are not helpful but a myriad of them won’t help either.

1 Like

I have come to feel that we should use a few more tags than we used to; they can be helpful for SEO purposes (although only a little bit, since we’re pretty stingy with how we disclose the tags in-content). But they can also in theory be used from code to locate content quickly, too. So there’s that.

But in general, as long as you follow the guide @sphinx_knight pointed to, you’re golden.

1 Like

I’m interested in what you think we should do differently or additionally with regard to tagging. My impression is that the tagging feature as it currently exists is not very useful, and therefore I would hesitate to invest in adding more tags.

1 Like

So, since tags are listed on the page, any text that appears there does impact our SEO (albeit only by a fairly small amount). But that makes it a good way to help boost content by ensuring that appropriate keywords are listed in tags, especially if they were difficult to work into the article itself in a smooth way.

So I like to use appropriate terms in the tags. For instance, RTCRtpSendParameters has the following tags:

• Standard tags (structural and identification tags)
    – API
    – Dictionary
    – Reference
    – RTCRtpSendParameters
    – WebRTC
    – WebRTC API
  • Additional tags
    – Audio
    – Codec
    – Encoding
    – Media
    – parameters
    – RTCRtpSender
    – RTP
    – sender
    – Settings
    – Video

Among the additional tags listed above are a few we would find pretty commonly on MDN, such as “Audio” and “Video”. But we also have others like “Parameters” and “RTCRtpSender” and “sender”, which help people looking for information about “sender parameters” or even more usefully, “sender settings”. This will also help people get to this page when interested in “WebRTC video encodings” or “WebRTC sender codec”.

That’s not necessarily stuff that would work as well without the tags appearing on the page as they do, and mentioning all of that stuff explicitly could be forced or excessive in a brief introductory page.

1 Like

Do we have a comparison, including data, of the impact of adding the additional tags?
Currently I, personally, am not certain it’s worth the cost of having many tags across many pages (like a parallel to macros where we ended up with too much items).

1 Like

In a perfect world, we would have our implementation of a flag and status mechanism separate from the tags, so that we could label things as obsolete or as part of an API separately from the tags used for SEO purposes. But we don’t have that. So we put it all together in one place. :slight_smile:

1 Like