Thread: Add-ons not working due to certificate expiration

Firefox team is this related to the new whitelisting process for addons?

1 Like

I’m also having the same problem. Virtually every add-on I have has been disabled for no apparent reason. I’m also completely unable to download any new ones as the message “Download failed. Please check your connection.” pops up any time I try to download any add-on.

6 Likes

I’m having precisely the same issue, seemingly out of nowhere. Uninstalled 66 and downgrading to 65 doesn’t help.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Disabling LastPass? How did you think that would go over? And then allowing the browser to refuse to download and then labeling the add-ons as corrupt? Come on.

7 Likes

Yes, same problem for me today, using FF 66.0.3. Today after an hour of using FF, it decided to deactivate all add-ons.

Trying to download the latest version of the add-on just says “Download failed. Please check your connection”. Opening the link in a new tab, the real reason is shown: “Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer”.

Except that the site is already whitelisted. I tried to disable basically all protection in the Options, as well as the XPI options in about:config. Even though that would be a bad idea, it should allow any site to install, but it still blocks it.

I put the link into Chrome in order to download the XPI, but FF claims it is corrupted.

2 Likes

Just came here to post the same thing. Every addon has been disabled out of the blue ~20 minutes ago and there is no way to download them.

3 Likes

Yes! Same issue here. Started Firefox and it said that my only addon (adblock) failed to work properly. Attempted to restart Firefox. Same thing. Attempted to reinstall addon and it said “Download failed. Please check your connection.”

My internet connection is fine. So I retried other adblock addons and the same error message appeared. Something wrong on Firefox’s end I believe?

3 Likes

Yeah, they fricking disable the AVAST Online Security Add-On … how fricking smart is that? Stupid devs! FIX THIS CRAP ASAP!

This is the perfect way to kill of the browser, since many that gets these problem WILL choose a new browser, without these problems!

4 Likes

I came here to say everything in your post. In the middle of doing something and suddenly nothing on firefox works and will not let me add on the addons I had. Please mozilla fix this, I can’t go back to Chrome it kills my laptop and Safari sucks. I need a working Firefox!

5 Likes

Had the same thing just happen to me. (Including the impulse to just rip and tear at my hair! :wink: )
All my installed themes just up and disappeared. Not to mention my AdBlockPlus! (I kinda forgot how annoying ads could be whenever they pop up. Which they do. A LOT!)

Firefox and you nice people at Mozilla, please help!!!

4 Likes

why would mozilla think this is a good idea? why cant an algorithm be implemented that would check for add-on security instead of sifting through each and every add-on themselves. seems a bit counterintuitive and it also seems like many people are annoyed

3 Likes

same here, no adblock or even browser theme. if this is not bug, but new fox politics - bb and hello chrome.
btw i use fox for a ~13 years, and now this.

3 Likes

I am also having this problem. I’ve been thinking about switching to firefox due to problems in the browser I’ve been using for over a decade; this is not the way to encourage me.

to summarize:

all - or almost all - extensions have stopped working
and
all - or almost all - extensions can not be downloaded

2 Likes

Yeah, not cool. My only - and apparently dangerous - add-ons (ublock, lastpass, and push to kindle) are gone, and as others have said, I can’t reinstall them. I’m streaming music right now so I know there’s no internet issue. Please fix this.

2 Likes

YEAH WHAT THE HECK MAN?! Please fix this.

1 Like

I am having the same trouble as everyone else. I open up my Firefox browser and all of sudden my add-ons are gone. When I attempt to re-download my add-ons it says I have no internet connection? Except that I am streaming and able to post here?
Its frustrating because I have been making the gradual switch from the Google giant and Firefox was a great alternative. Firefox and Mozilla let me down today.

2 Likes

Very strange, it rebooted for me in the middle of what I was typing. No warning or nothing. Lost all my addons except 1 (WebRTC Leak Shield).

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. what gives!?

1 Like

I also have experienced this issue across my work and personal machines with different versions. As of now, only my 64 bit firefox has its extensions. All of the 32 bit installs are extension-less now.

It’s as if “someone” snapped their fingers and wiped out all of the extensions.

2 Likes

I have a 64bit Firefox and the only extension that’s left with mine is Rikaichan (=an online mouse-over for Japanese script).

Not to mention the themes I accumulated over the years! Just… Blown to smithereens…

(I don’t think someone’s got a time-machine stashed somewhere so we could go back and stop that ‘someone’ from snapping their fingers? ;-))

2 Likes

Hello folks. Can only speculate as to the cause of the problem but have a workaround for you until this is fixed. Not perfect but better than nothing.

1. Go to the addons page for the extension you need back again.
  2. Right click “Add to Firefox” then “Save Link As”, and save the .xpi file somewhere you can find it.
  3. Open up a new tab and go to “about:debugging”, and “Enable add-on debugging”.
  4. Click “Load Temporary Add-on” and find the extension’s .xpi that you just downloaded.

Your addon will be enabled but will only work until you close firefox again. Repeat steps 1, 2 & 4 as required for other extensions you need.

Once this is fixed properly, please remember to disable addon debugging from step 3.

4 Likes