Building CM-11 for Flame

(Jovan Gerodetti) #1

I’m trying to build cm-11 for the flame so we can run fennec on top of it.
I’m aware that it might be easier to build AOSP for it, but by the time I started it cyanogenmod seemed to be nicely documented and looked like the easier way from me. By now I am able build everything and I have all the device images.
The problem I’m facing is that neither the boot.img nor the recovery.img are bootable. I always get stuck in the bootloader. I got some help from @gerard-majax and I mad sure the dt.img is build and included in the final recovery.img.
I also tried to dissect the original recovery and my cm-recovery, but I can’t tell what is causing the issue.
An other thing I noticed while playing around was, when I extracted the original recovery from the flame and created a new recovery image with the extracted parts, the image wouldn’t boot either.
If I flash the original recovery everything works, if I flash the repacked recovery with exactly the same parts, it doesn’t boot.

(Lissyx) #2

This is probably a hint that something is missing. Can you diff the working and non working images?

(Jovan Gerodetti) #3

What exactly should I diff?
I did abootimg -x recovery.img which gave me bootimg.cfg, initrd.img, zImage and then I created a new image with abootimg --create crecovery.img -k zImage -f bootimg.cfg -r initrd.img. Beside from that I have the cm-recovery.img and it’s ramdisk contents.

jovan@android-build-machine:~/flame_base_image$ abootimg -i recovery.img 

Android Boot Image Info:

* file name = recovery.img 

* image size = 8423424 bytes (8.03 MB)
  page size  = 2048 bytes

* Boot Name = ""

* kernel size       = 5880520 bytes (5.61 MB)
  ramdisk size      = 1277913 bytes (1.22 MB)

* load addresses:
  kernel:       0x00008000
  ramdisk:      0x01000000
  tags:         0x00000100

* cmdline = console=ttyHSL0,115200,n8 androidboot.console=ttyHSL0 androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x37

* id = 0x3ab62df2 0x3eee6236 0x0d54a8f1 0x072d4663 0x4e48926e 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 

jovan@android-build-machine:~/flame_base_image$ abootimg -i temp/crecovery.img 

Android Boot Image Info:

* file name = temp/crecovery.img 

* image size = 8423424 bytes (8.03 MB)
  page size  = 2048 bytes

* Boot Name = ""

* kernel size       = 5880520 bytes (5.61 MB)
  ramdisk size      = 1277913 bytes (1.22 MB)

* load addresses:
  kernel:       0x00008000
  ramdisk:      0x01000000
  tags:         0x00000100

* cmdline = console=ttyHSL0,115200,n8 androidboot.console=ttyHSL0 androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x37

* id = 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

(Lissyx) #4

Doing so, where is your dt.img ? Look into B2G installer sources to check how it is handled :slight_smile:

(Jovan Gerodetti) #5

This are the options which are passed to mkbootimg in the b2g-installer:

but I’m not sure how I should include the dt.img. As you can see in the image info, the recovery images both only consist of a kernel and a ramdisk. I extract these two parts an create a new image with them.

(Lissyx) #6

Yeah, device tree as a separate image is something that is from QC tooling, and I guess CM are re-using some of those. But AOSP back in those days would not have a way to set DT as QC tools.

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1235459#c25

(Jovan Gerodetti) #7

So CM’s mkbootimg supports the inclusion of an dt.img, therefore I tried to build a new recovery image from the parts I extracted from the original recovery image and the dt.img the flame base image provided. The result was a working recovery image!

This made me try the following other combinations:

1. all the parts of the cm-recovery + the dt.img I built with CM
  2. all the parts of the cm-recovery + the original dt.img of the flame

1 is still not bootable, but 2 now starts to boot, the “ThunderSoft” logo appears and then the screen goes dark. Unfortunately adbd still doesn’t start and therefore I don’t know what went wrong, but this leads to the conclusion:

1. the dt.img gets build, but not correctly. How can I find out what wents wrong?
  2. The recovery is still not functional, could I move the start of adbd to the beginning of init.rc to make sure it is running when the boot process gets stuck?

(Neo2shyalien) #8

@TitanNano Will be better to start from AOSP. When I start to building android for flatfish I did the same mistake - trying to build CM first. Patches which working on AOSP not working at all on CM :wink: If you wish I’m OK to help with AOSP builds :slight_smile:

(Jovan Gerodetti) #9

@I just had to notice that is CM is dead now, so yea I guess thats the best idea.

(Neo2shyalien) #10

Depends. CyanogenMod Is Dead, but Its Successor is Lineage OS (fork of the original CM)

(Jovan Gerodetti) #11

yes I know but I think with all this it’s easier to just use AOSP :slight_smile:

(Neo2shyalien) #12

Yeap, all patches in android tree are based on AOSP source so you don’t have to fix all errors manually just identify the correct version of droid from manifest files :slight_smile: Before few mounts I had build environment for flame but the repo is gone with my old HDD :smiley:

(Jovan Gerodetti) #13

@Neo2SHYAlien I guess I can use the flame manifest and just remove all gecko / mozilla stuff?

(Neo2shyalien) #14

@TitanNano you have to start from pure AOSP. After that you have to add flame related stuff device/framework/vendor etc…

(Jovan Gerodetti) #15

So i’m using android-4.4.2_r1 and this manifest:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<manifest>

<include name="default.xml"/>

<remote name="t2m" fetch="git://github.com/t2m-foxfone/"/>
  <remote name="b2g" fetch="git://github.com/mozilla-b2g/"/>

<remove-project name="platform/hardware/qcom/display"/>

<project name="device-flame" path="device/t2m/flame" remote="b2g" revision="kitkat"/>
  <project name="codeaurora_kernel_msm" path="kernel" remote="b2g" revision="t2m-flame-3.4-kk"/>
  <project name="kernel_lk" path="bootable/bootloader/lk" remote="b2g" revision="foxfone-one-v1.4"/>
  <project name="platform/vendor/qcom/msm8610" path="device/qcom/msm8610" revision="b2g_kk_3.5"/>
  <project name="platform/vendor/qcom-opensource/wlan/prima" path="vendor/qcom/opensource/wlan/prima" revision="b2g_kk_3.5"/>
  <project name="hardware_qcom_display" path="hardware/qcom/display" remote="b2g" revision="flame-kk"/>

</manifest>

What do you think?

(Neo2shyalien) #16

Looks like ok :slight_smile:

(Jovan Gerodetti) #17

@Neo2SHYAlien I started building now, but I get this error:

make: *** No rule to make target 'system/bluetooth/data/main.conf', needed by 'out/target/product/flame/system/etc/bluetooth/main.conf'. Stop.

Do you know whats missing here?

(Neo2shyalien) #18

@TitanNano Obviously system/bluetooth/data/main.conf missing from your files. Did you extract proprietary blobs from firefox os ? Usually this is done by script placed in device folder in your case extract-files.sh

(Jovan Gerodetti) #19

@Neo2SHYAlien yes sure I extracted everything, but nothing bluetooth related is in the vendor dir.

(Neo2shyalien) #20

Checkout for this file in the flame (mine is now battery off, and I’m lazy to charge it) If you dont find it just comment/remove this line in build file :wink: