Compliments on the new UI

Another person saying that this UI update is cheap and nasty. I’m a very long time Firefox user but this is close to pushing me to go elsewhere for the same reasons as others have said above.

5 Likes

This new design is so terrible I’m using Chrome to write this.

1. The rows are tiny now.

2. THE BIGGEST MESS-UP ON THE NEW DESIGN: The Google websearch takes up half the home page, yet when you type into it, it takes you into the address bar. I like keeping the search separate from the address bar, because the address bar otherwise gets cluttered. But what’s the use of giving the option of having the web search when it isn’t even functional when it takes you to typing into the search bar instead?

3. The tabs are floating above and makes it hard to view.

Until these are fixed, I’m going to either continue using Chrome or downgrading to the previous version of Firefox.

EDIT:
I downgraded to the last version, but it deleted all my bookmarks. Is there a way to restore it, even if it means going back to the newest version temporarily until I back up all my bookmarks?

I did notice when I was downgrading that it said something about importing bookmarks, but it asked if I wanted to import to Chrome or another, not Firefox. I had closed out of that dialog box and it gave no further options.

EDIT2: It upgraded it again automatically, despite me turning off automatic updates.

4 Likes
  1. Open about:config
  2. Search for proton
  3. Set browser.proton.enabled to false.
3 Likes

I don’t like when Mozilla decides about my browser experience. Minor design updates are OK but this update forces me to accept a lot of changes that I don’t like and never wanted.
I understand that browsers are vulnerable to attacks but I don’t think Mozilla has the authority to decide how my Internet is performing. I have my own security: firewall / vpn and so on.

@Mozilla, please give the people who don’t want the design in 89.0 to downgrade to the 88.0 without losing their profile / personal data.
I hate to say, but this update looks like the latest North Korea press conference:
“Hi great people of Firefox! The big leader has noticed that some people don’t like the new measures we made to your advantage. Do not fear, WE KNOW WHAT YOU WANT.”
Well Firefox, you do not know.

I have FF installed on 10 PC’s, work and private. Firefox was always the best browser, but now I’m thinking of Chrome. I hate Chrome.

4 Likes

I feel you, I also hate the “Proton” UI disaster. But for the time being there are ways to back out of it via the about:config page, search for proton.

3 Likes

Thanks, I have reversed proton to the classic look.

1 Like

The design refresh is not better than before but it is distinctly better than Chrome, Opera, Edge, etc.

I’ll bet anyone that Mozilla will eventually make some stupid change again reverting this yet again after putting the huge effort in doing this abstract redesign.

I personally don’t mind the differences to the tabs toolbar and the icons surrounding it… it’s still short though. I’m always having to create rules to increase the height.

Fundamentally though, the tab bar and it’s functions have remained the same but I agree with others that say the new design does not look right with all themes. The themes designed and created up till now were done so with the previous UI in mind… now with Mozilla trying to change that drastically, it breaks the magic somewhat.

I don’t know who needs to see this but Mozilla, you need to stop changing your UI for Firefox. You are literally the most unstable open source project guilty of changing their UI willy-nilly for just about no reason. Nothing you’ve done has landed valid reasoning when it concerns the user.

Arguably, this would not be an issue at all if you simply allowed extensions to modify the browser UI as was allowed before WebExtensions took over.

When you decide to force a one-size-fits-all approach into something as critical as UI/UX, you will fail because you cannot accurately consider all practical use cases and innate human dependencies. What do we do about the people who are disabled?

Your sole dedication for this stupid refresh has been to simply give your brand a new appeal while still (again) ignoring the legitimate pleas from the people who are letting you succeed in the first place.

You remain fortunate due to your Firefox-specific tools/utilities and recognition, however it’s only a matter of time until you piss off the right amount of people. The seeds of distrust have already been planted and people will continue to criticize your decision until you actually listen to the people who use your software.

Maintainers like the guys who do PaleMoon might not be a dime-a-dozen but they’re out there and they’re hungry. Ever since the awkward leap to Quantum, you’ve been consistently making picky business decisions that have overlooked the user community entirely. You continue to claim that the decisions you do is for our benefit but I have yet to see that land the way you think.

1 Like

New icons don’t disturb me the most, but what I really hate is that now buttons and menus are more separated, specially in COMPACT VIEW, resulting in an uncomfortable experience for people using mouse and keyboard.

Please, give us an option that allows us to have the icons as compact as we used to have.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you, the new GUI is a complete disaster.

6 Likes

Agree with others, the new GUI is HORRIBLE, WHAT A DISASTER.

Already the previous GUI change was a step in the wrong direction, but this one is completely unworkable!!

5 Likes

Also, before we got a normal window (one that use windows’ APIs) when we closed firefox with several tabs openened and when we clicked on a dowloaded file directly from the the recent downloads menu, what gave a design consistency that no other browser had on windows 7 and 8.1, but now we get those horrible google-like custom windows.
Mozilla, people used firefox because it gave them something the couldn’t get from any other 2021 browser: consistency. It isn’t late to revert these changes.
Please, listen to your users

3 Likes

Where do you do that?

You open about:config by typing literally that in the URL bar.
You then have to confirm that you are really sure you want to do this.

There’s a search bar that’s part of the about:config where you can quickly search for protonin the myriad of under-the-hood settings.

1 Like

I do not normally comment on software because I am generally too busy. However in this case I feel a strong need to make an exception.
The changes to the user interface in Firefox 89 are not to my liking. It strikes me that the developers have made many needless changes and that these have served to irritate existing users. Hardly surprising! For something as ubiquitous as a browser, used by millions of people day in day out, consistency just has to be the principal consideration when changes are being contemplated. I don’t know whether Firefox developers work with anything as clear as a written set of general guidelines that they can run any contemplated change against, but if they don’t, then they should. “Is this change actually needed? and “Will it impact existing users?” should be two of the questions that are always asked!
Some of the earlier respondents have given really clear and well-reasoned statements about the changes to the user interface in version 89 and if Firefox has to remain as a piece of software based firmly in the community then I feel what they have said has to be taken very seriously.

The line of tabs with no bars between them is needless change.
When you right click on an item in the “bookmarks”, the order of actions presented to the user has changed. Needless change.
The back arrow and forward arrow shown on the top left-hand corner of any page are not the same as in previous versions. There is less difference in boldness between an arrow that can be followed and an arrow that cannot be followed. Needless change.

If indeed it is true that one’s bookmarks are lost if one does a reversion to version 88 that I consider this is of near criminal negligence. My bookmarks are a profound investment in my own time. I have thousands of them, they are structured carefully and they are important to me. I feel that Firefox’s decision not to allow this is tantamount to kidnapping users and it really goes against the grain of software supposedly developed by an open community.

It would have been far better if the effort in tinkering with mainly stylistic aspects of the user interface had given way to some useful development of the bookmark facility, which in common with most browsers, Firefox does a fairly Mickey Mouse job in providing facilities. For example

1. When one alternates between history and bookmarks, the previous position is not remembered.
  2. There could be a facility to record and optionally make visible the date that a bookmark was entered and folders of bookmarks could be sorted by date as well as alphabetically.
  3. The ability to search for a character string in bookmarks is useful but having found it one cannot see which folder it’s in (this is really infuriating). Means to see this would be really useful as it often needed when one is adding bookmarks.

I hope that helps,

Jon

5 Likes

This is terrible and there should be a way to revert the styling to previous version.

3 Likes

My only issue with it is the tabs. There is no longer any true separation between them. So to my eyes they just end up looking blurred together.

1 Like

I don’t know why but in windows 7 the top window border is slightly white compared to other system programs. This seems to be a bug because it does not happen either in Windows 8.1 or 10 (I have tested all in a VM) and if I use a custom theme the buttoms at the top right corner no longer show whittish, just normal.
Firefox please fix this bug.

Floating bubble as the active tab and no separators between tabs at all are controversial things for sure, but there’s another feature I barely can tolerate. Why did you make the tabs so huge? I do understand why they need to be so large on mobile devices, but on the desktop I always made them as small as it was possible in the settings (my first thing to do after Firefox installation). Why is the browser-compact-mode hidden in about:config only? Fine, let it be hidden there, but even after turning it on the so called “compact mode” is still equal to the normal size of the previous versions of Firefox? Why those huge gaps between the lines in the drop-down menus? I really miss nice and nifty compact mode.

They are huge, and their title bars now have text for playing something instead of just a simple icon. I hate that! I want this icon back!

Geez, FF, give me the Photon UI back, and drop this Proton abomination before more users leave!

I’m on the point of giving up…

Is anyone using the Firefox focus? It’s pretty cool