"Creating hyperlinks" needs improvements (Also: Hello everyone! 👋)

Hello! I’m learning Web development right now (I’m French-speaking, but using the English version), and I noticed the wording in the Creating hyperlinks article could be improved for clarity, especially for the Link best practices section, which is ironic. :sweat_smile:

Here are some sentences for context:

Search engines use link text to index target files, so it is a good idea to include keywords in your link text to effectively describe what is being linked to.

Keep your link label as short as possible — this is helpful because screen readers need to interpret the entire link text.

In the context of the article, are “link labels” and “link texts” synonyms?

I’m following the “Looking to become a front-end web developer?” course in order and I don’t remember the concept of “label”. We read about the title attribute, if I remember correctly, but that’s about it.

I hope I’m using this forum correctly. :sweat_smile::wave:

Hello @philou

well done try to login/register to the page and do the update and the team will get notified so if we miss something they can revert the change you did

and have a nice day

could you check this @chrisdavidmills

and have a nice day

Oh… Right! I forgot about the “wiki” part. :sweat_smile:

I’ll see what I can do and ask for editorial review.

1 Like

Hi there @philou, and welcome to the community! I hope you are finding our material useful.

You are correct that “link label” and “link text” are synonyms, but this created some unnecessary confusion, so I’ve edited the article to replace “link label” with “link text”. Does that fix your issue?

Best regards, and feel free to ask for help whenever you need it.

2 Likes

Seems right, now! :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

The material is very useful! I’m reading in order and I already had good knowledge of HTML, so it’s a little bit boring, but I’m happy anyway.

I’m eager to read more about CSS, Javascript and accessibility

I’m still struggling with my schedule, trying to find the time and the right moment to sit in front of MDN (or any text, really) for more than 15 minutes. :sweat_smile: