Download folder history

Until recently, when I downloaded a file, the dialogue requesting the destination for the download generally started out in the folder where I had placed the last download from that web site. Now it consistently starts out in the folder where I placed the most recent download, independent of web site. I’ve read the Release Notes for the last few releases and couldn’t find any mention of this being a deliberate change. Is there any way to restore the previous behavior? The new behavior makes the average download take two or three times as long as it used to, and there doesn’t seem to be any benefit.

1 Like

If you are on a site where Firefox hasn’t saved a download folder, it definitely will use the last one. However, if you have downloaded from the current site before, that should folder should be remembered and used – unless you are using private browsing or if you clear Site Settings (formerly known as Site Preferences) using Clear recent history or Clear history when Firefox closes.

Your description sounds exactly like the way I remember Firefox working in the past. I’m definitely not using private browsing, unless there’s some way that could have become my default without me noticing. The title bar doesn’t say “Private Browsing”, so I’m guessing that’s not the problem. For sites where I’ve had this problem, “Show All History” shows page accesses going back at least two years, so Clear History or Clear recent history doesn’t seem to be the problem. I’m baffled.

1 Like

i can confirm this change in behavior.

i think it was introduces (maybe as regression) by the *we now better handle pdf / download / open thing introduced in this time…

here is a little bit of research collection on that topic:

i think the last one is the change that changed the behavior…