Winners of the Firefox Quantum Extensions Challenge to be announced May 8!

Firefox users love using extensions to personalize their browsing experience. Now, it’s easier than ever for developers with working knowledge of JavaScript, HTML, and CSS to create extensions for Firefox using the WebExtensions API. New and improved WebExtensions APIs land with each new Firefox release, giving developers the freedom to create new features and fine-tune their extensions.

You’re invited to use your skill, savvy, and creativity to create great new extensions for the Firefox Quantum Extensions Challenge. Between March 15 and April 15, 2018, use Firefox Developer Edition to create extensions that make full use of available WebExtensions APIs for one of the prize categories. (Legacy extensions that have been updated to WebExtensions APIs, or Chrome extensions that have been ported to Firefox on or after January 1, 2018, are also eligible for this challenge.)

A panel of judges will select three to four finalists in each category, and the community will be invited to vote for the winners. We’ll announce the winners with the release of Firefox 60 in May 2018. Winners in each category will receive an iPad Pro and promotion of their extensions to Firefox users. Runners-up will receive a $250 USD Amazon gift card.

Ready to get started? Visit the challenge site for more information (including the official rules) and download Firefox Developer Edition.

Winners will be notified by the end of April 2018 and will be announced with the release of Firefox 60 in May 2018.

Good luck!

I’m quite disappointed that the Challenge is restricted to the plugin published in 2018. This excludes all programmers that started to use the WebExtensions API since it came out. I feel this is unfair regard to people trying to use technology in early stage which help devs and community. I would understand if only plugins posted after this post/email would be accepted, making this a timed challenge.

Anyways Firefox and WebExtensions are great projects, thanks !

@caitlin The categories for the extensions are pretty narrow and I feel a lot of extension developers excited about the challenge feel excluded. I would really like to submit an extension for the challenge. Is there anyway a “wildcard” :monkey_face: category can be added for a winners that don’t fall into one of the categories mentioned? Otherwise can the tab manager category be broadened to “productivity extensions” by any chance? Really eager to participate with a productivity extension I have in mind!

1 Like

Hi Team,

I am a newbie to Firefox extension development. I am happy to participate in Firefox Extension Challenge. However when I checked the https://extensionschallenge.com/ website and other relevant add-on development resources, I could not find details on how to test the add-on extension in local development environment like it is chrome before publishing it online?

See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Temporary_Installation_in_Firefox

2 Likes

Thanks @freaktechnik. That works!

Thanks for the feedback, @p_g! I’m sorry the timing didn’t work out for this challenge. I’d definitely encourage the early adopters to consider creating a new extension to submit to this particular challenge or keep their eyes open for future contests.

1 Like

Hey @mikob, thanks for sharing your thoughts! We had a couple of considerations when deciding which categories to incorporate in this challenge. I’ll keep that idea in mind for any future contests. :slight_smile:

Would you have any interest in creating a new extension and submitting it to this challenge?

I am already creating a new extension, but it’s a productivity add-on so I’m afraid it doesn’t fall into the categories of this contest. I won’t be creating an additional new extension for the contest, if that’s what you mean. Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to the next contest.

Voting is now open for the winners of the challenge!

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/04/27/vote-for-the-winners-of-the-firefox-quantum-extensions-challenge/

Please cast your vote by 11:59 p.m. PDT on April 29, 2018

The winners of the Firefox Quantum Extensions Challenge will be announced on Tuesday, May 8!

Tune in to the live awards ceremony on Air Mozilla at 17:00 UTC (what time is that in my region?) to discover which extensions were named Best Dynamic Theme, Best Tab Manager / Tab Organizer, and Best Extension for Games & Entertainment.