Example images on MDN

We’re looking at the way we use images in examples on MDN. The primary goal is to avoid the use of images in violation of the terms of their licenses. In the past, we’ve had some cases where images were required to have attribution but did not. Lately we have had a related problem: “simple” examples where half the example consists of making sure the image used in the example has attribution visible.

So we have a task on our board called “Remove image attribution footers,” whose goal is to prevent needing to waste time and space on attributions when there are ways to avoid needing attributions at all.

@wbamberg started this project but I’ve been asked to pick it up. The plan, basically, is to just start requiring all images to be CC0 so they don’t require attribution. We won’t be going back and redoing ancient content at this time, but over time the goal would be to move in this direction. New content would be required to use attribution-free images.

I’d like to go a step further and actually find and presupply our interactive examples with an assortment of appropriate images in various sizes, contrast levels, etc. These CC0 images would be placed into a folder in the interactive-examples repository, and would then be available for any and all examples to choose from, thereby eliminating much of the worry about licensing of images.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Sheppy

Some places I’d recommend sourcing images:

• Wikimedia Commons, specifically the CC-Zero category. You can filter to “quality images” in the top right.
  • I would say Unsplash, but the license was apparently changed in June 2017 from CC0 to a custom license. So I guess avoid those unless they were uploaded prior to June 2017? (see the Unsplash note on Commons)
1 Like

Flickr also has a CC0 category.

So, my main question is: are there any opinions on the value of having an assortment of pre-selected images available, so that individual sample authors don’t have to worry about hunting them down and checking the license terms? I think this has the double benefits of saving sample authors time as well as helping to prevent license breaches, but if nobody else thinks it’s worth doing, then I’ll drop the idea.

Sheppy

I like this idea; say a little sample gallery of 10 or so? Shouldn’t take you too long to do, and would save a lot of people a lot of time in the future. I say go for it.

Sounds good to me. I figure a few different sizes of images with different overall contrast levels. I’ll get into that today.

Sheppy

1 Like

I’ve submitted a PR to add an assortment of images. Each one is in two sizes to support examples of different sizes and/or resolutions, and to cover a breadth of usage scenarios. There are bright images, dark images, images with different overall palettes, and a few of them are also available cropped to be roughly square for scenarios where wider than tall images don’t work well.

Nice work man. I think this’ll be really useful.

I have gone ahead and merged the PR that adds the CC0 images and am now working on going through the examples and creating PRs for each one that needs to be updated to use CC0 images instead of attributed ones.