Gateway - changing default section on first load and page reload

I have designed my own webthings (framework, python) to control DIY LEDs from a Raspberry Pi 0. It works.

I have set-up a gateway on a Raspberry Pi 4. I can control my webthings. After working through various issues (host names, stopped using wifi), it works.

I am now learning my way through creating an add-on. For now all I use is front-end javascript (Extension).

The first problem I cannot seem to be able to solve is this:
My extension creates a new menu entry, I would like this extension (selected by this menu entry) to be loaded by default when refreshing the browser window.

For all existing menus, when I reload the browser window, it stays on the same page / html link.

When I reload the browser window from my extension, it goes back to /things.

I have not found any API function that gives this type of control when the page/section gets built.

I have tried various tricks with HTML DOM events (load/onload, pageshow/onpageshow) on various parts of the DOM (document, window, body, section) and also dispatchEvent MouseEvent click on the main menu link to my extension, all in various places (within my extension constructor directly, within a promise, within a setTimeout always in the constructor).

Some of these tries do not work at all (event does not fire), others end up in an infinite reload loop as it cycles between my extension page, which as soon as load redirects to /things.

The one I understand the least is this:

setTimeout(function() {
    console.log("setTimeout, link to follow:");
    console.log(document
                .getElementById('extension-test-UI-extension-menu-item')
                .getAttribute("href")
               );
    //crash(); // uncomment this to stop the infinite
               // reload loop and see console messages
    document
      .getElementById('extension-test-UI-extension-menu-item')
      .dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent("click"));
  },
);

I place this at the end of the extension constructor.
When I uncomment crash (undefined), I can see in the console that the href link is correct, however it always reloads /things (with crash commented out).

Using window.reload as a button on the page has the same effect.

Clicking on the main menu link manually shows the extension as expected.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a simpler way?

This issue has actually been fixed already and will be available soon in our next release.

Great news, thank you.