How to align Mozilla Global goals with small Popoluations, its Needs & Reality?

This topic is about Small Populations or communities worldwide, its reality and how Mozilla could help.

We want to keep in mind the big spectrum that Mozilla covers worldwide and find ways to align Mozilla goals with the daily needs small communities or towns face around the globe, regarding the Web.

Please share your IDEAS, points of view but also your best Ideas and Suggestions on how Mozilla could reach, teach, help and educate, motivate all those small towns in, Africa, Asia, think of small towns in the Amazon jungle, etc.

Some small cities are just getting connected to the web while other towns are falling way behind due to web illiteracy and more. While we could be dreaming of VR and IOT innovation, I guess Mozilla should not forget about the average web user, the new internet user, the hard working street seller, the single mother, the low income family or the South American working child, they All dream of using the Web as a mean to improve their lives and future…

At the same time we can also discuss the Local reality of small Mozilla communities and volunteers who happen to be located in rural or remotely located areas and regions, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

Suggested by: @nukeador

3 Likes

Hi,

Glad to read this post since I represent one of the small communities, Mauritius - a small island hardly a dot on the world map, which most of you may not know about us. But Mozilla recognizes our community as any other coms… and actually I have been a Mozillian for more than 10 yrs, while aligning with Mozilla goals. Since, I have been contributing in many projects and still doing so…in addition to advocating Mozilla goals, we also look forward to instigate other small island to join us and get involved…I am happy that Mozilla Mauritius has been a backbone in the setting up of Mozilla Madagascar as another community in the Indian Ocean region…the challenge continues

Best

1 Like

Hi @spillai10 Ganesh, well it is nice to hear from Mauritius, I guess we should clarify that when we refer to Communities here we are talking also about small populations with low or no access to the Internet as it is, all left behind while the world moves forward, my guess is that being a Rep in Austria has very little to do with being a Rep near an isolated town somewhere in Angola, with bad internet access… I guess a part of Mozilla’s mission and goals should be to help us Include these “people” in the web present and future, etc. But how to do and achieve that…?

1 Like

Moving to #mozillians since it’s the forums for general discussion.

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this @mozecu

My question to frame the conversation would be:

• What are the current needs around the web and Internet for these communities?
  • What are the current Mozilla projects and goals that can support these needs?

Probably the Internet Health Report have some of these themes you are refering to.

Hello,
Here my opinions,

What are the current needs around the web and Internet for these communities?

• A lot of small populations have very limited if any access to the Internet, what could Mozilla do to support that? Also, sadly as soon as the web reaches this places, people is being actively inducted into the web by big Corporations, with very little knowledge about privacy, web security, risks and advantages, etc. This way they are being easily driven into, security issues, scams, frauds, having no idea if any nor the need to protect their personal data, information, privacy and totally lacking the skills to use the web efficiently.

• Also many aware of the Web existence and its obvious potential dream of using it in order to improve their lives, businesses and reaching their personal and professional goals. Sadly many quickly get discouraged due to lack of free and open resources, tools, websites easy to follow and read that will help them use the web to their advantage.

• Young New inexperienced web users children included keep falling victims of, false claims, fake offers, cyber criminals, cyber bullying, pedophiles, and even extremist indoctrination, cults, etc. This is more likely to happen to new web users who innocently come from isolated environments with very little access to the web.

• Women specially in these regions are certainly industrious people and many have products like handicrafts, organic products, services, etc and they are all looking for ways to use the web as a mean to increase family income, reach more opportunities, etc. How could Mozilla help educate these women and men in order to properly and effectively use the web and know what and how to use it accordingly? A mere google Adwords campaign may prove to be too advanced and my guess is it will not be the right answer in this cases. what could Mozilla do?

We may be going too broad here but I guess these are real web user needs and should be taken as important as keeping the web free and open, IOT or Web VR, but at this time looking at both sides of the road I see those who are happily riding bikes and those who are just learning that the web exists, that is for sure Huge digital breach that apparently we are simply ignoring here…

I totally agree with you, @mozecu Dave ! we can’t talk about the web without getting Access to Internet…as a basic human right …FOOD, WATER, SHELTER and INTERNET [https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2016/02/08/the-internet-is-a-global-public-resource/]’

Let’s brainstorm!

The Equal Rating Innovation Challenge is a good example of recent work we’ve done to support these needs.

@rosana what would be your recommendation to kick-start this kind of conversations in other parts of the world?

1 Like

I would be interested in taking this issue as a Talk to #MozFest later this year, should I get a small team to gather some more insight…?
@rosana @nukeador

1 Like