I can't import my passwords from .csv file

Thanks. I have imported saved passwords now but the passwords can’t be recovered because there is not any links in the .json file.
In conclusion, on that partly terrible disappointment form me I should take it easy.
Thanks again.

Hmm, I’m puzzled how you got a blank backup file. Was your Firefox having problems with history and bookmarks before your reinstall?

Do you have any other kind of backups from before the system reinstall?

Did you use one of the built-in methods of refreshing Windows that preserves your data in a

C:\Windows.old

temporary folder?

I hadn’t problem with bookmarking but I was awkward by smart redirects.

“C:\Windows.old”

I just reinstalled Win10
So I am keep calm. Happy new year, everybody :sunglasses:

It’s still a big fail in 2022 and even on MacOS. :man_facepalming:

Similar problem for me. Even after activating the menu option “import from .csv” with " signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled" = true , the menu option shows up, the dialog windows opens but Firefox simply fails to load the logins.

Chrome was able to import from the same .csv file so I don’t think it’s corrupted.

1 Like

Same problem here.
On export, Firefox creates passwords.csv.
Attempting to import it to Firefox on a new Win10 system with the menu item “import from .csv” enabled does nothing.
Importing the passwords to Chrome succeeds; then “Import from Another Browser” (Chrome, in this case) succeeds in getting the passwords into FF.
Basically, this “workaround” requires installation of Chrome just to get your FF passwords from an old system to a new system’s FF.
From this thread, it looks like this has not been addressed for >2 yrs.

Type about:config in search bar
accept the fact you’re doing this at your own risk
change:
security.allow_eval_in_parent_process to TRUE;
signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled to TRUE;
print(Have a good day!);
return 0;

5 Likes

This has been an on-going problem for me.
setting:
security.allow_eval_in_parent_process
to true seemed to fix it, for some reason
signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled
was already set to true when I checked it.

I’m not sure why -and I don’t care since I am able to import my passwords.

In summary, what fixed my situation was:
signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled TRUE <<to allow importing
security.allow_eval_in_parent_process TRUE <<to coax firefox into actually reading the bloody CSV file.

After doing that, signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled had been set to true, but that may be a local (to me) thing and folks ought to probably check it anyway.

Thanks, @aevsolaev!

5 Likes

This worked for me! Thank you!

For me the import is now supported but I get an error now, saying a field was missing. From Chrome export I have the fields: name, url, username, password) Does anyone know, what the required fields for import in firefox are? How can I fix this?

Thank you so much for the help so far @rnd0

1 Like

solved my problem thanks

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. This worked for me. Thank you so much for sharing.

2 Likes

I was having the same problem, but resetting both of the settings to TRUE worked.

Thanks a lot! This did it :grinning: :+1:

security.allow_eval_in_parent_process TRUE

Never heard about that before

Update to Firefox 108 to import CSV files after setting just signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled to true in about:config.

security.allow_eval_in_parent_process should always be false!

I´m on FF 108. Do I have to reset this value?

If you changed security.allow_eval_in_parent_process you should definitely change it to false.

Disallowing eval is an important exploit mitigation.

1 Like

Thank you, I´ll do it.

Version 116.0
signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled true
This made the “import from file” option appear in about:logins. Can’t go without it thanks.
security.allow_eval_in_parent_process true or false no apparent effect. “Error: Missing Field” no matter what, other than a couple “Duplicate: Exact match of existing login” End result; new logins added 0. Duplicate logins found 2. Errors 128.

I’m importing from Chrome.
Doing direct import from Settings> Import Browser Data gives me a success prompt, 126 imported, but checking about:logins shows no logins found. Homie failed and called it a success. I’m going back to chrome unless this gets fixed, sorry foxfans, I tried a LOT. Gave 'er a good faith effort or six, but this is a bad first showing and I’m not gonna put the effort of manually adding passwords after seeing this mess. Thanks all for the effort.

1 Like

Having this issue also, trying to import in Firefox v118.0.2 on mac Sonoma v14.0. Passwords exported to .csv in Firefox on a different computer (not sure what Ff version but was current as of 4 weeks ago).

signon.management.page.fileImport.enabled = true
AND
security.allow_eval_in_parent_process = true
OR
security.allow_eval_in_parent_process = false
produces
Import Summary: 0 New logins added, 0 Existing logins updated, 0 Duplicate logins, 160 Errors (not imported).
For all rows, Error: Missing field.

1 Like