I'm Ari Jaaksi, SVP of Connected Devices. AMA

What about development?, What hardware is recommended ?, I have understood that the concept of Open Web Apps will no longer exist, what comes next and how I can develop for IoT?

Community is an integral part of Mozilla. This is a unique differentiation, as I already said, compared to many other companies and projects. Community is the way we work, we influence, and we are relevant.

However, transparency and decision making are different things :slight_smile:

Hello, I am from Bangladesh a developing country. I see CD as an opportunity for us to be used as tool for Development in Agriculture, Education, Public Services and many more. In our country the number of mobile subscribers is now 121+ millions. We see this a saturation point. Connected Devices could be a start from scratch in our country; there’s almost no activity in here, except handful of students and hobbyist. Engaging / exploring within that demography would yield slow and micro results. I believe CD would be a success for us if we can have a controlled boost in some region. So, my question to the SVP, “is there any possibility or plan to partner or work with the Government agencies in a large scale with Connected Devices.”

4 Likes

I see Raspberry Pi an interesting HW platform going forward. I would tinker with it now, get a few sensors, learn IoT protocols, technologies, and in a few weeks I hope I can be moe concrete. We are making directions more clear and technologies more concrete very soon … I also want to hear from you!

We are continuing to push web to be strong in mobile with progressive Web Apps. Strong effort with Google and Opera. Making web strong on TV is important including a strong content portfolio. These are in works at the moment.

If volunteers are just coworkers without salary, not involved in decisions. I think we need to found something new. A community of mozillians an CoMo instead of MoCo to get the balance right.

1 Like

As soon as possible, there will be a transition plan being communicated. This is not a trivial thing to do, so we have still some work to do.

2 Likes

However, transparency and decision making are different things :slight_smile:

To me it seems clear that even with a community (paid and non-paid people) Mozilla is not a totally horizontal organization. It’s clear in it’s Mozilla Roles and Leadership and Mozilla Community Participation Guidelines

Connected Devices is not a brand we can identify ourselves externally well. How will we identify ourselves with external mediums avoiding the Firefox OS brand? Mozilla Connected Devices? Do you think we can get our point across from a Marketing perspective?

business decisions are done by Mozilla

To my knowledge, the word “Mozilla” means The Mozilla Project and The Mozilla Community, linked by The Mozilla Mission – at large.
No question here, but I hope “business decision” won’t become a stamp that we put on every decision that we fail to include the community in, in the future.

2 Likes

If volunteers are just coworkers without salary, not involved in decisions.

Also the coworkers with salary weren’t involved in these decisions. Largely, at least.

3 Likes

This is interesting. I’d like to know more – i have more questions than answers here :slight_smile: Most of our new ideas seem to come from connected home, entertainment and such. So to your question – if the right opportunity comes, yes.

1 Like

I am currently with Arduino, but the closest thing to develop Javascript is Johnny Five, it would be interesting to use some of the WebAPIs already developed rather than relying on third-party tools.

For sure, yes because it’d be very difficult to make such decision if everyone are involved.

There is huge disappointment in Mozilla leadership going on within the community right now. Do you think the leadership team can have open office hours to facilitate answers to questions without the community raising its voice via blog posts or mobilizing itself to do so? This would solve transparency issues in many cases.

2 Likes

I’m open to ideas. However, there are people who are responsible to make decisions – it is a part of their job. That cannot be a full democracy. But what I want to understand going forward, is to have the right influence, information flow and discussion with all parties that can contribute. It is important to make right decisions, and if we don’t include volunteers and community at large we will loose a lot of insight. So: transparency and consultancy and influence as widely as possible. Decision making will be always more centralized.

1 Like

I’m paraphrasing a moderator question, but what is the plan for current foxfooders? I think foxfooders would be much more valuable if they were testing fennec/flyweb because I really don’t see how we can test IoT functions on a phone we’re supposed to use as a daily driver.

2 Likes

Question from mozmoderator

Why do you think we can win on the Connected Devices commercial ecosystem when we failed with Firefox OS? What’s difference?

1 Like

How do you think we can convince partners regarding connected devices when we failed to fulfill their expectations with Firefox OS? We obviously have a change of heart every few years. What differentiates us from other IoT initiatives and how do we regain our partners (and most importantly - developers) trust?

3 Likes

We first have to define what it means to “win”. There are many ways Mozilla can impact the ecosystem. The most tangible way is through consumer products (like Smart TV), but we also should consider any activities successful in protecting users from a siloed, centralized, private ecosystem a win. Ways we may do this is by trolling the titans, where we impact the marketplace with our experiments, thought leadership and influence with developers.

This is much more possible when the ecosystem(s) are as immature and fragmented as they are in IoT (which was definitely not the case with smartphones). I think it is the right time to act NOW!

That being said, we do have a goal to find Product Market Fit with at least two products this year, which means our target users would tell us they’d be terribly disappointed if their lives did not have the solution they’re testing for us.

2 Likes

There are different levels of involvement. There’s a difference between giving everyone a vote, and taking the time to consult people who will be affected.

For example, the Foxfooding program was only recently launched. It was a push to give volunteers real involvement. The announcement in Orlando was exciting if you got past the “we’re not going to…” because it meant that all the obstacles to really letting Firefox OS have community involvement were going to be removed.

The decision to shutter smartphones entirely was made without giving the community a chance to show potential, let alone meet it. The message really seems to be that whoever’s job it is to make these decisions doesn’t actually believe in the community, and that clearly includes employees as well as volunteers.

1 Like