Loops 3 Question (incrementor up top?)

Hello,

In attempting to set up a while loop for the Loops 3 assessment, I’m not understanding the final expression/incrementor placement that makes the loop generate the desired output.

In the cats loop example using the while loop, the final expression/incrementor is placed at the bottom…

initializer
while (exit-condition) {
  // code to run

final-expression
}

In Loops 3, it would only work with the final expression at the top…

initializer
while (exit-condition) {
final-expression
 // code to run - false
} else {
 // code to run - true
 }

// why doesn't the final-expression get placed here?
}

Why is that? Thanks for the help!

@timandes this is an interesting one. The reason we don’t put the iterator at the bottom of the block is that, earlier on in the block, we continue the loop if the number is not a prime number. If we don’t decrement the value of i first, this would result in us continually running the isPrime() function on a non-prime number, then continuing, then doing it again, forever. An infinite loop, in effect.

So therefore this fixes that:

while(i > 2) {
  i--;

if(!isPrime(i)) {
    continue;
  }

para.textContent += `${i} `;

}

I’ve changed the exit condition to > 2. Because the lowest prime number is 2 — 1 and 0 don’t count as prime numbers! I’ve updated this in the question already.

Now, strictly speaking, the above answer is still a bit shonky, as we are reducing the value of i immediately before we actually do anything to it, so therefore 500 gets skipped completely. This doesn’t matter for the purposes of this code, because we know 500 is not a prime number, but it’s not a very good practice.

In addition, you end up outputting 1 if you do i >= 2, which is the range we are told to work between, so therefore you have to end up putting i > 2. to make it work. But this is not very intuitive.

So therefore a better answer would be this:

while(i >= 2) {

if(!isPrime(i)) {
    i--;
    continue;
  }

para.textContent += `${i} `;
  i--;

}

It is difficult to write it more elegantly, because in the if block, the i-- has to come before the continue, otherwise we break out of the loop iteration and i-- never runs.

1 Like

Oh man, that makes total sense. Interesting balance between functionality and elegance. Functionality wins on this one!

Adding “shonky” to my vocabulary, haha.

Thanks for the time and answer.

You’re welcome. And I’m glad you are enjoying my strange English vocab :wink:

Hi! I apologize if I resurrected this post, but I messed around with your answer and I am really curious as to why my version does not include 2 in the list of prime numbers:

do {
        if (isPrime(i)) {
            para.textContent += i + ", ";
            i--;
        }

i--;
        continue;

} while (i >= 2)

Is there something I missed or misunderstood? I hope I worded it clearly

Hi, chris Please explain how iteration work I am not able to uderstand how looping work, In both ,when use isPrime(num) and when use while(!isPrime(i)) .
I just want to know how iteration work I mean looping. how i increase and how decrease. for find prime. I hope you help me.

Here’s a simpler example to start you off: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/while

I would recommend adding one more console.log(n) to the above code, so you can see what the output is for each iteration. The loop continues from n = 0 to n = 3, then it exits the loop.

Make the code in the link look like this, then press ‘run’:

let n = 0;

while (n < 3) {
  n++;
  console.log(n);
}

console.log(n);
// expected output: 3

Inside the loop, it will first add 1 to n (n++;), then it will output/print that value, then it will repeat the loop (again and again, until it reaches the exit condition, which is when n reaches 3.

Then, when it hits 3 it will exit the loop and continue to the last console.log(n), where it prints the final value of n one more time: 3.

I would recommend going through the looping tutorials one more time, and maybe watching some YouTube videos to reinforce the learning.

Good luck!