The Firefox Marketplace for web apps will close in on 30th March:
The Marketplace will shut down on March 30th, 2018. If there are any apps that you would like, and have not downloaded yet, please do so before that date. See the wiki for more background.
The wiki says:
We announced in March 2016 that the Firefox OS Marketplace will remain open until at least January 2018. We have since made the decision to shut down Firefox Marketplace on March 30th of this year. Thank you so much for your participation in this project. Together we grew Marketplace to touch over 50M unique users, in over 30 countries and 50 languages and explored the boundaries of the web across multiple platforms. Your contributions and expertise have been greatly appreciated! With sincerest thanks, Firefox OS Marketplace Team
I know I can download and install apps now, but what about if I have to restore my phone from recovery or reflash it? Marketplace will be gone, so how can I store a backup of the apps I want to keep?
I assume there’s some work-around where I find the address of the server where Mozilla is keeping the apps, download the packages I want to keep and then somehow sideload them onto the phone. This is a bit of a hack, is anyone left who knows a more accessible solution?
PS - here’s my work-around method. AFAIK it’s only feasible to do from Firefox Desktop, not the FirefoxOS phone itself:
- Go to marketplace.firefox.com My Apps page: https://marketplace.firefox.com/purchases (you need to login)
- Use Firefox dev tools (F12 on my box), use the Picker (right of Inpector) then click on any button that says “Install” (even if greyed out).
- In the highlighted HTML, right click and Edit, then copy the “data-manifest_url”, which should look like this: “https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/56a871cb-134c-40b2-9cb2-d5ed8c06171c/manifest.webapp”
- Paste this into the address bar and go there
- This is a manifest file for the app package. Save this file
- Then copy the “package_path” field, which is a XIP file with an address like this: https://marketplace.firefox.com/downloads/file/271152/file-manager-1.0-beta2.20150315.zip. Download this ZIP file.
So the ZIP contains the app, and the manifest says how to install the app. What I’ve not tried yet is how to install this myself. I don’t even know how this will work for privileged apps.
Can anyone help?