Marking up a letter

Respected Sir/Madam,

I am thankful to you for creating such a nice platform where everyone can learn the new things and get connected to new professionals like you. I do appreciate your efforts and respect the Mozilla community.

I request you to please assess my assignment of ‘Marking up a letter’ and let me know about my improvement areas.

Thanks

Regards,
Rupesh Bharuka

HTML Code:

<!doctype html>

<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="author" content="Rupesh Bharuka">

Dr. Eleanor Gaye

Awesome Science faculty
University of Awesome
Bobtown, CA 99999,
USA
Tel: 123-456-7890
Email: no_reply@example.com

20 January 2016

Miss Eileen Dover

4321 Cliff Top Edge
Dover, CT9 XXX
UK

Re: Eileen Dover university application

Dear Eileen,

Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your PhD next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.

Starting dates

We are happy to accomodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:

• First semester: 9 September 2016
  • Second semester: 15 January 2017
  • Third semester: 2 May 2017

Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.

You can find more information about important university dates on our website.

Subjects of study

At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:

1. Turning H2O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C14H12O3.)
  2. Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30oC (86oF), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 x 103 increasing to 3 x 104.)
  3. HTML and CSS constructs for representing musical scores.

So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.

Exotic dance moves

Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:

Polynesian chicken dance
A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300BC, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be "fruitful".
Icelandic brownian shuffle
Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptably tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.
Arctic robot dance
An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterised by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.

For more of my research, see my exotic dance research page.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Eleanor Gaye

University of Awesome motto: “Be awesome to each other.” – Bill S Preston, Esq

Hi there Bharuka,

Thanks for getting in touch with us, and thank you for the nice comments :slight_smile:

I have a request — can you post your code in a way so that I can see it correctly? When you put your code directly into the discourse post, some of it is interpreted as HTML and so doesn’t display as you’d expect. One way to do it is using a pastebin page - see https://pastebin.com/

Also, you could surround your code block in sets of three backticks (```), one set at the start, and one at the end. This makes the code just display as a code block and not get interpreted.

So for example:

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. You are absolutely correct, it has interpreted it as HTML and did not display the code. I’ll surely post my code in either way given by you.

I have one more concern regarding login to Mozilla discourse account. It is giving me an error message as ‘Sorry, there was an error authorizing your account. Perhaps you did not approve authorization?’ What should I do in this case?

Cool, thanks!

Regarding the error on Discourse — I’m assuming you did follow some kind of step to authorize? It usually sends you an email with a link to follow, or something. Since you are still able to post messages, is this a problem?

Sorry, Chris. I didn’t get any authorization link on my email. For the first time when I logged in to the Mozilla discourse, I logged in with the google account.
It didn’t send me an email even after my successful login. But today I am unable to login to the Mozilla discourse account.

I don’t know, why it is not allowing me to log in today?

Oh, OK. Just one thing — I am not really sure what you mean by not being allowed to log in. I mean, you are posting messages on discourse :wink:

No, I am not in a position to post the messages on discourse. That is what I am saying, Yesterday I could log in to discourse account but today it is giving me an error message saying ‘Sorry, there was an error authorizing your account. Perhaps you did not approve authorization?’

That means if I can not log in to discourse account, how can I post messages?

The error that you mention can happen if you did not “Allow” Discourse to use your Google login (this is a dialog that appears during the login process).

Less likely, it can happen if there is a configuration problem with the Discourse instance. (See this thread for details: How to solve this error… )

Even if you don’t have an authorized login, you can still post to the site using email, which I guess is what you’re doing, in order to be able to have this conversation.

cc: @leo Any further insights?

Also note that you can start a new discussion via email by sending a message to mdn@mozilla-community.org. I just updated the “About MDN” topic to include that information, which for some reason was missing.

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your kind support and reply.

Yes, I also think the error has occurred because of some configuration problem which a dev team needs to look after. This dialogue box I am getting immediately after clicking on Sign in button. But, what I think is, the dev/engineer team should look for this problem and fix it asap. So that other people will not face this issue further in future.

Logging in with Google works fine for me, @bharuka.rupesh can you try clearing your cookies for discourse.mozilla.org, refreshing, and logging in again?