MDN Browser Compat Data Migration - Where to put Web App Manifest

I’ve been participating in the MDN browser compat data migration project

I noticed that Web App Manifest hasn’t had its browser compat data migrated yet. I’d like to update it.

But it’s not clear to me where to put it, in terms of the existing categories.

The existing categories can be seen in this doc (as the Tabs across the bottom):

The Categories are: CSS, Ungrouped CSS, Web APIs, Ungrouped Web APIs, WebDriver, Javascript, HTML, SVG Elements, SVG Attributes, MathML, HTTP, WebExtensions

Should it go in an existing category, or does a new category need to be created?

Thank you!

1 Like

This is a difficult one — it’s very hard to categorize.

I’d say it’s closest to “Ungrouped Web APIs” — it’s not exactly a web API, but it provides metadata that is useful to other APIs.

I’d put it as this for now, rather than be blocked on this. We can always change it later if we really need to.

1 Like

I wonder – would it make sense to have a “Misccellaneous” or “Other” set of technologies that could include things like manifests and the like?

Sheppy

I would put it into the html folder for now: html/manifest.json.
And the exports would be like these:

html.manifest
html.manifest.lang
html.manifest.scope
… etc
html.manifest.display.browser
html.manifest.display.minimal-ui
html.manifest.display.standalone
… etc

Note that we already have html.elements.link.rel.manifest but I don’t think we want to have manifest features that deep, so I’m proposing to have this at the top level in html.

Is there a consensus on this? Is the html folder the way to go for now, per Florian’s reply? I’d been proceeding with it in Ungrouped Web APIs, per Chris’s reply… as stated, it can always be moved later.

“Ungrouped APIs” would mean we’d add a new top-level export to the project, which I’m unsure about at this point. Please proceed with putting into the html folder as I’ve proposed. And yes, we can always re-organize this later.

Thank you for contributing! :slight_smile:

1 Like