Mentors Narrative - Yuliana

My name is Yuliana, I´ve been collaborating with the community since 2014, and in 2016 I signed up to be a Rep within the program. I didn’t know much about the community before I got involved, but I had people around who were my mentors, who I could ask questions to, they gave me guidance about activities in the community and those same people helped me get to the Reps program.

I started as a volunteer in the local community, I gave some workshops on FirefoxOS, I remember that some of the Reps from Mexico at that time began to talk to me about more projects, but it was not until I was invited to the Leadership Summit in 2016, when I saw everything that was the Mozilla community.

After that event, I met Cinthia who was a mentor to help me start with womoz in Mexico, we did sessions similar to what it is to be a Mentor. She answered my questions, listened to me, and had a safe place where I could ask any questions. That’s where I learned what it was like to set goals and the logistics of carrying it out. And so far, I try to help other volunteers with the same guidance in what people from my community have helped me.

Last year I had the opportunity to work as a mentor for students, where things that I learned from here in the community helped me in many areas. For example, the importance of listening to the other person, knowing how to identify what they need help with. Giving and receiving feedback that I think is one of the most important things, as a mentor we must know how to give feedback with the right words that instead of being something negative, they become areas of opportunity to improve, and in the same way be a person who knows how to receive feedback in order to become a better mentor.

Keeping an agenda of the session is important, previously I only took sessions and these used to last 1 or 2 hours, since we were always thinking about the problem. My experience as a mentor taught me that we must define our session agenda, defining session objectives and giving them a conclusion and time to talk about it, helps us optimize time and make the session productive.

Thanks to all this, I´ve grown my communication skills with other people, and I would like to share my knowledge with others and make them feel welcome as others did with me.

¡Good vibes!
Yuli

4 Likes