For a couple of weeks now we have been using a process proposed by Florian to triage bugs into P1 to P4 buckets. The idea being that P1 bugs are bugs we work on within the quarter.
We’ve come up with a bunch of them already, but no good way of actually addressing them other than ad-hoc. Last week during the triage meeting we then decided to use a combined backlog for items that are not part of our roadmap/OKR and use that for priorization, effectively combining our paper cuts backlog and the newly triaged items.
Initially we intended to spend 25% of our time on maintenance, however the AWS move made that difficult, and we didn’t follow through. As the effort for the AWS Move is winding down, we’ll have more choice again in how we spend our time on engineering issues and opportunities. My suggestion is that we estimate items in that backlog for each sprint and take on individual items to fill up 25% of our time.
Practically, we’d continue triaging using the p1 to p4 buckets every week. I’d then use the P1 list to prioritze items in Trello and during the sprint planning phase we’d estimate and move items into the sprint as dev time allows.
Let’s discuss here if you have thoughts on this.