Reading e-Books on Flatfish (feedback/contributions appreciated)

(David Teller) #1

Hi everyone,

For the past few weeks, I have been working on OpenBerg Lector an application for Firefox OS for reading e-books. OpenBerg Lector has just reached Milestone 1.

The application has just reached Milestone 1. Still quite young, but it is time for testing, feedback – and contributions.

If you are interested, head to the web app.

(Carlo Carmagnini) #2

Hi, it’s an interesting project. I’ve browsed the site for just a few minutes, so it’s a superficial feedback. Probably I won’t say anything new to you.
Link problem (probably a B2G bug): opened 1984, click on a “Chapter” link, link changes colour on tapping but nothing happens. It works after many attempts. I have tested on FX desktop, everything works perfectly. So it could be the usual problem I have with many links while using Flatfish.

Tablet:

• does not change page if I swipe to left
  • when reading a page, it’s missing a menu to reach the index (valid also for desktop).

Desktop feature ideas:

• scrolling the mouse should scroll the pages
  • better bottom navigation (bigger arrows), on desktop the usual hand icon over a link should appear.

(Steve Lee) #3

A good start.

I tried loading an O’Reilly ePub and nothing seems to happen apart form a flash of green bar at the bottom. No Errors.

You don’t specify what formats are accepted either in the UI or the docs, but I saw the pre existing books are ePub. I wonder if the File download API lets you specify filters for those OSs that use file extensions to identify type?

(David Teller) #4

Thanks for the feedback. In the future, don’t hesitate to file bugs :smile:

@CarCarlo

• links: I have rewritten the code that handles internal links, I believe that it should work better now;
  • I’ll take a look at the swiping issue;
  • will file a bug for the index;
  • scrolling with the mouse is a good idea, filed;
  • bigger arrows, filed;

@slee Yes, for the moment, Lector only reads epubs. Unfortunately, the file picker appers to have bugs that prevent me from filtering efficiently.

Do you have a sample OReilly epub I could use for testing? Preferably one I could redistribute.

(Steve Lee) #5

I just tried @agarzia’s Firefox OS book and don’t even get the green flash.

See https://github.com/Yoric/lector/issues/1

(Steve Lee) #6

That; seems to be the wrong repo as you have moved it. Any way I created the bug there.

(David Teller) #7

Fixed link, thanks.

(David Teller) #8

I just released a new version that fixes a gazillion bugs, including the file picker one.

(Steve Lee) #9

Nice. It shows real promise. I’d say good navigation is high priority. I have some accessibility use cases and this is a great base. Will fork and play. Next - try on my flatfish :wink:

(Pavithran) #10

Great :+1:
I will try it out. Nice to see tablet apps coming. Do we have a webpage or wiki page which lists all the tablet specific apps , so that we could discuss them and use it as reference for probable other apps.