Silly Story review

Hi. I completed Silly Stories and it is working fine. I am working through the tutorials on my own and am wondering what is the best way to use this resource. I got very stuck on how to use the randomValueFromArray function, not realizing that JS calling the function for each array would obviate the need for a loop of some kind. I didn’t have any code that made sense and it seems that most people are using their code as a starting place. Is it OK to just ask questions about the logic? I’m finding it difficult to find relevant examples of the kind of syntax needed in W3Schools tutorials or even the MDN lessons leading up to the exercises. (I got over the hump by referencing the solution code.)

Hi @meg.l.parsons,

Thanks for getting in touch. I suppose the difficulty with the Silly Story Generator assessment is that we haven’t covered functions or loops in any great detail in the course yet; we have just mentioned them in passing in some of the earlier articles

But it is difficult to do anything useful or tangible without using at least a function or a loop.

So I think you are perfectly right to ask general questions about logic; feel free to mention me using @chrismills to make sure I see the question.

If you got stuck on using the function, then maybe I should provide some kind of hint in the assessment question?

Quite honestly, if I had read the directions more carefully, it was outlined pretty well, but my brain had ping-ponged off in several directions thinking about how to attack the various parts of the problem so it didn’t register. Thx for the response.

@meg.l.parsons no worries. Just know that I am always happy to help — you are always welcome to ask questions here, and there are no silly questions.