Someone copied sentences from Wikipedia

Reviewing German sentences in the collector tool, I noticed many sentences that were obviously copied from Wikipedia. The “contributor” just took the first sentence from an article and inserted it into the tool. Here are some (not all!) examples:

I am going to downvote this plagiarism, but I think it would be best to find out who did this, contact him/her and delete the sentences.

@jf99 Can you please hold on a bit? I want to check this with the team for the best approach. Thanks for raising this issue!

My opinion is that wikipedia should be a great source of sentences, since it uses a rather suitable license of all its texts…

We can only incorporate public domain sentences, wikipedia articles use creative commons by-sa.

@jf99 sorry for the delay, I’m still working with the team to find a solution here I though it was going to take just a few days.

Okay. What exactly are you trying to solve? Identifying the user? Contacting him? Auto-detecting such submissions?

@laubern - The legal situation is very clear, and unfortunately that’s not right. Almost all Wikipedia text is released under a licence that is incompatible with the public domain requirements of this project.

Briefly, Wikipedia uses a licence that requires that the author (ie the person who wrote a particular snippet) be attributed on every re-use. Wikipedia achieves that by linking to a history page which lists every author of single page, but that’s impossible here. Wikipedia’s copyright is vested in its individual authors, and there is no single copyright-owning organization that has any power to waive the attribution requirements.

Put simply, we can’t use Wikipedia.

Ok. Thanks for this explanation.

Hi all,

similarly to this thread, I noticed in the sentence collector that someone uploaded content coming from an online book that does seem to have a CC0 compatible licence. I tried to spot the user by doing a sentence search in https://kinto.mozvoice.org/v1/buckets/App/collections/Sentences_Meta_fr/records but I cannot find it (maybe because it’s still not validated). It would be to cumbersome to manually reject all the sentences, could you batch the delete of these sentences? Here are two sample texts “J’observais la scène d’un air amusé.” and “Sur le coup, je n’eus pas la présence d’esprit d’intervenir.” .
Just to be sure in terms of licence: the one these sentences use is Licence Art Libre 1.3, that states the following:
. You must mention the original author
. You must cite the source
. You must distribute the modified version under the same condition as the original version (identical licence or compatible)

Regards,

Cedric