[Support] Sage-Like - Sidebar Based RSS Feed Reader

Hi…

Thanks for a great RSS reader. I’ve been using it for a few years and never had a problem until the latest update (2.8.) I’m using Firefox v99 and a Windows 10 desktop PC. I also tried it on the latest FF Developer version - 100 Beta 4.

There are two sites I visit and for whatever reason, Sage-Like interferes with my ability to log in. On hulu.com, once I enter my credentials, I get a message stating that there’s a problem switching to my profile. On verizon.com once I enter my credentials it just loops back to asking me to enter my credentials.

None of the other sites that ask for credentials exhibit this behavior. Since I use these two sites often, I have to disable Sage-Like every time I want to log in. Which is not what I want to do.

Please let me know if you need more information in order to get this issue resolved.

Thanks.

Hello @phred,

Thanks for the feedback and I am sorry for the Inconvenience,

This sounds like a the same issue that was mentioned here and here.

As a temporary solution go to the extension’s Options page and uncheck the ‘Detect feeds in web pages and show…’ option.

This is just a workaround and the issue will be fixed in the next version.

Hi…

Thanks for the quick reply. That did the trick. Very much appreciate your help.

Hi,

Next version will include this:

feed-properties

Sorry if it is a strange sentence. My English is poor and I use translate.google.com.

I’d really like to just see a different colored feed every time the feed is updated to a source that isn’t coming from the user action link to the properties.

Very useful for controlling changes resulting from updates not by.

Sorry I’m so late to respond.

I apologize, but I don’t understand the issue you’re describing.

Maybe try to rephrase.

Hi ariel,
thanks again for the add-on.

Say, is it possible to use userscripts on an rssfeed? Like, Greasemonkey and a script?

My example: I have a feed that links to imdb, but i want it to show the rating next to the link. I was already able to write a script for the website but not for an RSS feed.

Thanks again.

Hay dawiesel,

Sage-Like can handle style sheet scripts for the Feed Preview, but it doesn’t support JS user scripts. And I’m pretty sure Greasemonkey can’t work outside a webpage.

Hi Ariel, thanks for your hard work on Sage-Like, I’ve just started using it to keep track of a few Podcast RSS feeds, where I need details of links (not always shown in Podcast apps) and find it very useful, but have come across two feeds it can’t process and they are ok in other RSS readers, so thought I would share them (below) so you can look into the issue.

musicforprogramming.net/rss.xml
Error: Failed to get feed data. [ Feed format is neither XML nor JSON. ]

feeds.simplecast.com/rpKQEwel
Error: No RSS feed items identified in document.

Thanks again, regards …John

1 Like

Hi John,

Checkout the new version I just submitted.

1 Like

Thanks Ariel for the fast response, it now works well on those feeds.

I’ll also leave some feedback for future improvement: It would be useful and may speed things up if there was feed max entry limiter with the setting in each feeds properties entry box. Example: I have one Podcast feed with over 1,000 entries and it is slow to load, I only need to see no more than 100 there most of the time, but handy for a max limit setting to be adjustable if a person wishes to see earlier entries when required.

Thanks again …John :slight_smile:

I’ve considered providing an option to limit the number of feed-items before and decided against it due to feed-items sorting.

Feed-items in the feed source are not always sorted by their timestamp (example). This is way this option exists:

While sorting feed-items must occur after the loading of all items, enhancing performance with a feed-items limiter requires interrupting the loading process before all items are loaded.

For those feeds the results will be inconsistent if a limiter is implemented.

On the other hand, based on my observations, most feeds do list their items in the source chronologically and I now tend to think that the performance benefits may justify this discrepancy.

I’ll need to investigate some more.

Thanks Ariel again for the fast response. In the earlier post you refereed to about a limit option, then it is also that option in ‘feedbro’ that prompted me to ask about it. The only problem with their limit option is that you can’t increase it on a feed, example : A music podcast feed is limited by the default 20 and you decide you’d like to check further into the history for earlier music sessions, changing the feed to say 100 doesn’t make any difference, so you have to delete it and re-add the feed with a 100 limit for it to then read more of it. Apart from that their limit feature does make it fast at reading a lot of feeds.

The reason I noticed a performance issue with Sage-Like, is that as the side bar won’t minimise to a thin line (for maximum browser window viewing), then I have to close it often and when re-opening it, it then refreshes all the feeds again, so if there could be an option to minimise the side bar (rather then closing it) or a user selectable option to prevent it refreshing the feeds on opening (both of those features would be useful), then that would be an increase in performance for many users and also save on bandwidth. The limit on feeds won’t be such an issue if Sage-Like doesn’t have to refresh too often.

The reason I’ve been checking out RSS feeders recently, is that Google announced they’re stopping their podcast app soon and I’ve since discovered it can be more useful to get podcast data with an RSS reader (i.e. direct access to download links, no fluff etc.). As for replacing the Google Podcast app on my Android smartphone then I’ve just been checking out the Podcast Addict app, which has a lot of options for updating feeds efficiently, one option is called ‘Skip Completed Podcasts’ and looks for a completed flag on the feed and if it is there then it can skip it, just thought I’d mention this as another possible speed improvement or perhaps that’s already in use.

I hope the above is useful.

Thanks again …John :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello!
I was looking for an alternative to Fraidycat for a number of reasons(1), and I came across Sage-Like. It looks great!!

Just a little question, I know that the name is right “sidebar based”… but :sweat_smile:… will you ever consider making possible to have it in a tab, like Fraidycat of Feedbro?

Thank you!

(1) It hasn’t been updated in almost three years, sometimes for no reason it loses all saved feeds, it says to sync via Firefox user but doesn’t, developer hasn’t responded to github issues in a long time…

I retrieved an OPML I had from Fraidycat and tried to import on Sage-like, but it created a series of empty folders instead of feeds :thinking:

Hi John,

After rethinking I now believe that the improvement in performance is justified. From my experience most feeds are sorted chronologically and I’ll add an informative message to notify the user about the sorting issue.

I’ll work on it.

Regarding the sidebar. Firefox web extensions are not allowed this type of control over the sidebar.

You can get some performance improvement if you uncheck the ‘Show total number of unread feeds and feed-items’ option.

Option to preventing feed refreshing upon sidebar opening is very interesting. I’ll look into it.

‘Skip Completed’ might not be relevant to Sage-Like. When the sidebar is opened, only the feed’s text files, essentially a list of links, are fetched from the web. The articles themselves aren’t loaded into the browser until a feed item is clicked.

1 Like

Hello Edo_Dry,

Glad to hear you found interest in Sage-Like!

Moving to a tab layout means rethinking how the extension works. It will be a completely different extension rather than a simple adjustment.

Hi again Edo_Dry, :smile:

Yes.

There is an issue here and I’ll try to upload a new version to fix it as soon as I can.

Hello Ariel,
Sage-Like v1.5 or newer (including v3.6) displays only five old posts from this feed:

https://codeberg.org/20-100/uni-STC.atom

Sage-Like v1.4 or older displays all 21 posts including latest ones. Could you please check?

Hi Davor,

Firstly, thank you for the thorough investigation.

It appears that the post URLs in the feed were changed to relative links, causing them to fail a validity check within the extension. I have fixed the issue, and it will be included in the next release.

Due to the fact that this particular feed contains posts with identical URLs, I’ve managed to identify and correct another minor issue. So thank you x2.

1 Like