[Support] uBlock Origin

Thanks for the rule, in fact I’ll use it without the domain in the hope to catch other users of this WP plugin.

Neverthless without this rule and blocking large media elements only, I’d like to let you know that despite Firefox’s network logger showing “0 bytes” here as well, that script does download around 35kB on each attempt to get the image (measured on our firewall, the domain it downloads from is “tvrr.de”).
This is not the outgoing request, but data entering the network card, and Firefox seems to be unaware of this traffic. If uBO could kill “runaway” scripts which repeat failed requests … just an idea.

Support for intercepting Websocket requests has landed in Chromium:

Hi,
I recall that one of the biggest headaches for developing the Chrome/Chromium extension was trying to work around the lack of an interface for extensions to intercept ws:// and wss:// calls. However, formal support for doing so has finally landed in Chromium trunk and should be expected in Chromium/Chrome v58, according to this bug report:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=129353#c87

Just wanted to let y’all know so that work can be done towards deprecating the current workaround add-on extension and implementing the functionality in the main extension, minus ugly hacks.

Does uBO support script replace/injection? Apparently yes, based on https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/blob/master/filters/resources.txt, but I don’t know how to set up.

Example:
https://www.uol/esporte/especiais/entrevista-juca-kfouri.htm#petralha-ou-tucano

On DOMContentLoaded, this page overlays antiadblock. I can’t block the entire .js because it does more than load antiadblock, so blocking it would break the page.

All I need is to make DetectAdBlock = function () {};. I could make an UserScript, but I wonder if there is no built-in script injection/replace feature in uBO.

EDIT.: OK, i can remove the antiadblock overlay of the example by blocking two classes, but the question about script injection feature remains for other cases.

This site (http://bleacherreport.com) is a popular sports site and is now running video ads with audio turned on that are truly awful. When you go to an article and start to scroll, the video will make itself known in the lower-right corner. How can I stop these completely?

Example article:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696806-demarcus-cousins-tells-heckling-jazz-fan-to-sit-your-fat-ass-down

Once that loads, as you scroll toward the bottom, a video window will pop-out of the right side of your browser. Any help to permanently kill these videos would be greatly appreciated.

@gorhill Now you can set the “Support” tab on the Chrome store to show a link to this forum:

I recommend you to do that because scammers are posting on the support tab of uBlock Origin:

I’d like to know how you’re supposed to go about finding the proper ways / variables to use inject-able scripts. There’s very little (if any) documentation on this, and only the coders / contributors seem to know how.

Like, right now citytv.com has an annoying ad-blocker that keeps you from watching any video. I’ve dug through .js files for like an hour and have no idea what I’m even looking for, or even the right script to use. And I can’t post about this on either the uBlock or Uassets githubs because it’s “invalid” according to the rules.

[quote=“Enhas, post:335, topic:6746”]Like, right now citytv.com has an annoying ad-blocker that keeps you from watching any video. […]
And I can’t post about this on either the uBlock or Uassets githubs because it’s “invalid” according to the rules.
[/quote]
Why do you think it’s not a valid issue for uAssets? You have a filter issue, and the purpose of uAssets is to handle these. Front page of project:

The goal of this repository is to receive all the reports for the need of new filters, or reports of web pages broken by existing filters, and will be open for people to contribute (those who have proven to be valuable contributors will be given write permissions on the project). Ideally I wish eventually there will be a small army of volunteers dedicated to deal with filter issues.

This must be in the manifest.json because I am not seeing any option in the store dashboard to set this link. I will look into it.

I got my answer here

Hello,.
sorry, not seen how to start a new topic
on the settings tab, if the “enable advanced features” box is checked, failed to load and update in “my filters” list Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek!
Thank you for your lighting

Hello!
Even though I live in the US, I recently found a website from the Far East that I like alot.
The problem is, they use a TON of 3rd Party Scripts that rain havoc upon Firefox; (For example, the images keep jumping around & it blocks some Key Right-Click functions).

So on that site I opened uBlock and clicked the Red Box that is Immediately to the Right of 3rd-party scripts (not on the far right) . . . And Boom! the Website immediately functioned Correctly! Yay!–WELL, so I thought! It turns out, clicking that Red Box turned off 3rd Party Scripts Universally, which appears to BREAK stuff on other sites.

SOOooo, in order to make that Chinese website USABLE, is there a way to turn off 3rd Party Scripts–For Just That One Website? ? . . . OR is it necessary to click that Red Box every time I visit that website?

And just one other question please regarding that 3rd Party Scripts Red Box:: I noticed in the upper-left-corner that it lets you click on “Temporary” - - - How long will its Excellent effects remain when set to “Temporary”?

Thank You Very Much for Your Assistance !! :slight_smile:

Chuck

———————————
Post Script: There was a 2nd benefit of turning off 3rd party scripts on that Chinese website:: When Scripts were turned ON, there was this Ugly, INVASIVE pop-up from Google. Yuck!! Why will they not just f’ing GO AWAY!! :rage:

I also am unsure as to how to create a new topic.
My question is concerning creating a filter to block the “suggested for you” ads in Linkedin I am select them with the picker and it will block that one ad… however they changing the number ie
"www.linkedin.com###ember47273 > .feed-s-update__scroll" is what is created in my filters list however the numerical number after the work ember keeps changing… is there a way to create a wild card for this? so that the randomly changing numbers will all be picked up? any help appreciated.
Thanks

it appears for the past few months thevideo.me is not playing nice with uBlock Origin. Even with the default settings of uBlock, when attempting to Full Screen or Pause/Play, pop ups will go wild, the video will not full screen, unsure what to do!

Thanks

I was wondering does uBlock Origin have a limit on how many Cosmetic filters you can have? The reason i ask, sometimes when i add a cosmetic filter to block an image, if i close/open the same webpage, the image is no longer blocked, i have to add it twice before it will become permanent.

(sorry if i posted in wrong section, i can’t figure out how to make own topic for help)

I’m currently using the latest Webextensions version of uBO beta. My problem might also occur on the legacy version.

When downloading or creating a backup file Fx places the file in Windows Temp folder. It is something like xxxxxxxxx.fileextension.part. This is to allow the file to continue to be downloaded if you exit Fx and then get back into it. After a successful download the .part is removed and the file should then be called xxxxxxx.fileExtension.

In the case of uBO after clicking on the Backup button the backup appears in the Temp folder as +JZgrPdd.txt.part. The first part of the name will always be different each time you do a backup.

There are two issues I believe:

1. The file should be renamed with a file extension of .txt. From what I read on your Blog the filename should be a lot longer.

2. The backup file doesn’t seem to be in any other folder. At least I can’t find it.

I’ve been adding uBlock Origin to my taskbar every time I log on. Today, though, I clicked the circle as usual, it turned green, with a check mark, as usual, but it’s not showing in my taskbar, so I don’t know whether or not it’s running. I must have somehow blocked it without meaning to. How can I get it back?

This site (http://bleacherreport.com) is a popular sports site and is now running video ads with audio turned on that are truly awful. When you go to an article and start to scroll, the video will make itself known in the lower-right corner. How can I stop these completely?

Example article:

bleacherreport.com

DeMarcus Cousins Tells Heckling Jazz Fan to ‘Sit Your Fat Ass Down’

The Boogie era in New Orleans has gotten off to an, um, interesting start. Not only are the New Orleans Pelicans just 1-5 since acquiring the All-Star big man, but DeMarcus Cousins has found himself exchanging words with fans…
Once that loads, as you scroll toward the bottom, a video window will pop-out of the right side of your browser. Any help to permanently kill these videos would be greatly appreciated.

Posted the above issue and haven’t seen any response in 2 weeks. Am I not in the right place? Is there a different support forum for uBlock Origin or is this it?

Hi,

uBlock Origin consumes very little resources, that’s indeed great! Have a general question:

What am I supposed to do, if a Website blocks me out (because I’m using uBlock Origin), saying, “you have to disable your adblocker to get access to our Site”?

In this case, is there no smarter solution than to whitelist such a Website (or to disable uBlock Origin)? Which means, nullify the benefits of uBlock Origin (to zero) is that easy for blackmailing Websites?

Thank you for advce, Caches.

uBlock Origin’s icon is not a green circle with a checkmark in it. Your issue is with another extension.

Support for filter issues can be obtained at: