The need for a reward system that fosters collaboration

Reps,

Currently our main rewards system, or lets say it best, our main recognition system is Rep of the Month and shout outs during Reps calls and other channels. Those are ways of highlighting the personal contribution of individuals. As a Brazilian, the first time I’ve ever seen a “Worker of the Month” kind of highlight was at McDonald’s fast food chain and having a sister-in-law who worked there, I’ve learned of all the politics involved with such kind of systems.

In my point of view, this kind of system is made to foster competition among members, each one trying to outdo the others to receive the glorious moment of recognition. I know, we as a community avoid this kind of “all out olympic-like competition among members” but it still happens even if subconsciously. This, in my humble opinion is not the best system we could have. It leads to:

• Reps asking mentors to vote for them, like political campaigning.
  • Reps with absent mentors are never nominated which leads to them potentially feeling left out.
  • Leads to popularity contests and feeling of superiority.

I see why people like this. It feels like a video game leaderboard and you can be the winner. Everyone wants to be a winner right? There is one thing that this system doesn’t foster though, which is collaboration among members. And before someone come here screaming that it does, think for a second that this rewards or recognizes an individual and not all the people who helped them.

There are other systems that work better and I want to talk a bit about them.

Scouts badges

I was a sea scout and a scout master in my younger years. The badges system, which served for inspiration for Open Badges, is a great system. Let me highlight some cool characteristics:

• First of all, it is topical, so someone can craft their own path through the many available badges.
  • One scout getting a badge on a given month, doesn’t preclude other scouts from getting the same badge.
  • Acquiring more badges help the scout feel like they are on a progression path.
  • It helps provide metrics for the organization as they can gauge interest in specific topics by how many scouts are pursuing some specific topic and from which locations they are located.
  • Some badges are only possible to acquire through teamwork, others are individual. It provides a path for introspective and extrovert people.

Game trophies/achievements

Also inspired by scouts badges, there is video game achievements or trophies. These might be more familiar to people here many of which never seen a scout live. These are little badges that are awarded to the player when they meet certain criteria. They are quite common in Xbox and PlayStation games.

These kind of achievement badges are common beyond video games as well. For example, I am an avid reader and love my Kobo device. Kobo has a gamification mechanism called “Reading Life” which collects metrics on my reading habits and awards me badges like “Hungry for Books” when I read during lunch hours for five days in a row.

A plan for Reps

While I was doing Rio Mozilla Club, I came up with a badge system for us. I think we could have a similar system in place for Reps with badges designed to promote collaboration.

A solution like this would foster more active participation and allow different personas to pursue different paths. A more technical introvert might pursue technical badges while an extrovert people person might go for events and working with others badges.

I believe that we need to pursue this further and my plan is to update this topic weekly with ideas of badges and systems that could be put into place.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @agarzia

As part of the Mission-Driven Mozillians project we have a theme around recognition where we eventually want to tackle this, not just for Reps but for all communities.

The first step into this process is fully understand a few points:

• Why recognition?
  • How do people like to be recognized? :small_blue_diamond:

So basically what I’m suggesting here is to take a step back from the solution space (even if I also like badges) and think about the whole picture.

If you are interested in this topic I suggest you can start thinking about this and come up with some actions that can inform this project later in the year.

Cheers.

:small_blue_diamond: Other examples we have asked in the past to contributors about “How would you like to be recognized?”

• Thank you! expressed in any way (e.g. Github comment, email)
  • Assigned role in the community
  • Inclusion of my work in a product or initiative. (e.g. approved translation suggestion, merged Pull Request, bug fix, etc.)
  • Certificate - digital
  • Recognition from staff
  • Prizes and awards
  • Professional recognition (LinkedIn)
  • Certificate paper
  • Public recognition (tweet, blog post)
  • I prefer no recognition / anonymity

@nukeador,

thanks for the feedback. Regarding that discussion, I remember answering a survey on recognition a long time ago with that exact questions. Was the result of that survey published?

I don’t think one work precludes the other. I can help with the research you mentioned above, I’d love to.

I will also keep working on other resources such as these badges and other potential things, even if they end up not being used anywhere, just working on this will spur very good conversations and ideation processes.

For example, I’d love some feedback from you on the ideas I mentioned above. Not an official Mozilla feedback. I am looking forward to understand what real people who are in the Reps program think about this. I have the suspicion that there is no silver bullet for recognition, there will not be a single system in place that will make everyone happy. I suspect that we’ll need various systems as our different personas emerge. I think that by creating topics as these one, which contain a proposal for a recognition system, that we’ll invite more people to contribute to this area.

1 Like

Good point, gratification is important for us (volunteers) and actually in Mozilla there are very few chance for this a part maybe written thanks on Discourse or Monday Weekly call and invited to join meetings of a specific team somewhere in the world or receive by a team a specific swag or a thank you letter.

It was something that I personally addressed few times in the past and I stopped to talk about it because as written by Ruben is in the roadmap for MDM.

Personally I liked a lot the thank you letter (email) received from the program in 2015, I tried to put in our roadmap again but we have right now different priorities.

Personally again for me a certificate will be no so bad for every year about what we are doing (but something very simple) that I can put on my wall (the the appreciation letter of 2015).

In the case of WordPress community for my personal experience the gratification is different because there is a badge in your profile as you suggested that say what you do: https://profiles.wordpress.org/mte90
In the past as I can remember there was the project to count the activities of a volunteer and now with community analytics we can discover that pretty easy, so is important that everyone fills reports. Maybe we can use that project to do our evaluation about activities of a volunteer (not specifically only of a Rep).

1 Like

@nukeador and @Mte90,

One thing I think is important in my original message is that a badge system provides Reps with a sense of progression while still allowing them to craft their own path forward. Other forms of recognition such as letters, ROTM, they are cool too and I am not saying we stop them but even though they provide a timeboxed recognition moment, they don’t give Reps a sense of progression or help them find a path forward in any direction they want.

I received a really nice letter from the Add-ons team recently. It is now safe, stored with some other cherished little gifts from moz. I really enjoyed receiving that. I do think that we must also provide other forms that focus on progression and collaboration. Maybe I was not concise enough above, let me try to summarize what I think we should build:

• A badge system with multiple badges tailored for the different personas of Reps.
  • Badges designed so that they foster collaboration over competition.

This is a different approach to recognition because it is not only about recognition is is about:

• encouragement to move forward in whatever direction you want.
  • empowerment to create your own path inside moz
  • agency to move at your own pace without pressure of competition.
  • fostering collaboration by designing a system that is biased towards it.

I am not trying to replace things and I (personal opinion) don’t think that this kind of ideation needs to wait for results of the why recognition research because the process here is good data and material for the research itself.

1 Like

I agree with you that the badge system is a good and cool way to achieve that but actually I don’t think that is easy to implement until MDM doesn’t do a proposal for that.

Maybe when all the Reps team (like newsletter one) will start the council will have more time to work on this stuff that we have to do.

Actually we need that the Reps use the report system in that way when the badge or another way for gratification/reward will be implemented there will be data to automatize this part.

@Mte90,

This doesn’t need any automation. There are many badge issuing systems available. Badges can be manually issued by mentors. This would not require ParSys to develop new software and would scale better because new badges would not requiring coding and complex verification systems.

Let me quote an example from my early days as a scout. There was an entry badge for cooking, it required you to cook one of three options, pork stew (feijoada), spaghetti, or chicken. Everyone did the pasta, always. What would be is that our chief (aka Mentor) would simply double check that our pasta was edible (not always the case, my first attempt could easily be used as a glue to bind airplane wings) and then fill a form. A human double checked the achievement and issued the badge manually.

This process scale quite well with humans working. There is no need for complex automation. And as a team iterate over badge designs (not the art, the mechanics), changing the criterias and paths is quite easy. Manual, non-tech approaches to recognition systems allow faster iteration and provide a nice human touch. The letter I received was hand-written, this has much more value to me than printed automatically by machines.

You are right, so a part automation we need to do a list of all the activities that deserve a badge.
I can see maybe for the next quarter if we can start to work on a proposal.
With the new council onboarding and finish of the Q1 OKR we can see what we can do about it :slight_smile:

1 Like