Unable to get training to work - permission error

First thanks for an amazing package.

I’ve set up DeepSpeech according to the readme and am trying to do a the basic training (ldc93s1) example given in the readme. I’ve tried a few different virutal machines and keep running into the same permission error. My command and output are here:

(deepspeech-venv) robertritz@deepspeech-dev-1:/var/DeepSpeech$ python DeepSpeech.py --train_files data/ldc93s1/ldc93s1.csv --dev_files data/ldc93s1/ldc93s1.csv --test_files data/ldc93s1/ldc93s1.csv  --train_batch_size 1  --dev_batch_size 1  --test_batch_size 1 --n_hidden 494  --epoch 50  --checkpoint_dir "ldc93s1"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "DeepSpeech.py", line 1838, in <module>
    tf.app.run()
  File "/var/DeepSpeech/deepspeech-venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/tensorflow/python/platform/app.py", line 126, in run
    _sys.exit(main(argv))
  File "DeepSpeech.py", line 1790, in main
    initialize_globals()
  File "DeepSpeech.py", line 238, in initialize_globals
    FLAGS.summary_dir = xdg.save_data_path(os.path.join('deepspeech','summaries'))
  File "/var/DeepSpeech/deepspeech-venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/xdg/BaseDirectory.py", line 70, in save_data_path
    os.makedirs(path)
  File "/var/DeepSpeech/deepspeech-venv/lib/python3.5/os.py", line 231, in makedirs
    makedirs(head, mode, exist_ok)
  File "/var/DeepSpeech/deepspeech-venv/lib/python3.5/os.py", line 231, in makedirs
    makedirs(head, mode, exist_ok)
  File "/var/DeepSpeech/deepspeech-venv/lib/python3.5/os.py", line 241, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/robertritz/.local/share'

Sorry for the completely bozo question. It was an obvious linux permission error. Had to change the owner of that directory to my user and it executed.

I’m trying to run DeepSpeech on my computer but am getting ‘permission denied’. I’m not sure how to go about resolving this issue.
I am running this on WSL.

i’ve tried changing the ownership of the DeepSpeech directory but am still getting permission denied.
Any advice on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

You’re resurrecting a dead thread instead of starting your own, firstly.

What, exactly, are you trying to execute the graph for? You’d normally pass that as a parameter to deepspeech instead.

2 Likes