Why is this not available in my country and language?

Why do you discriminate users from other countries than Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada. This happens over and over again…

“discriminate” can be a strong word. Just who are you referring to as the “you”, and in what way(s) do you feel there has been discrimination?

1 Like

Mozilla.

By obviously preferring Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada over other nations?

“mozilla” is a big “who”. can you be more specific?

Likewise, replacing “discriminates” with “preferring” doesn’t help clear things up for me. In what exact way(s) to you feel that “mozilla” is “discriminating / preferring” certain countries?

An example would help a lot.

Sorry, I thought it was clear because of the “Test Pilot” and “Lockbox” tags in the post. I’m referring specifically to this as the Lockbox App / Pilot is only available in these countries (Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada).

As far as I remember this is not the first time that people not living in these countries get excluded from such projects.
While it is “only” a testpilot project I have my difficulties with this kind of nationalism or whatever you like to call it…

Thanks. I found this

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2018/07/10/introducing-firefoxs-first-mobile-test-pilot-experiments-lockbox-and-notes/

The Test Pilot program is open to all Firefox users and helps us test and evaluate a variety of potential Firefox features. To activate the new Lockbox and Notes extensions, you must have a Firefox Account and Firefox Sync for full functionality.

You’re saying that’s not the case?

I was wondering if it might have anything to do with the app store.

Look here:

Please note, Firefox Lockbox is currently an English only app available in a few regions including Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States, and Canada.

I don’t mind if the App is English only but making it available only to certain countries feels very wrong.

1 Like

I’ll agree that much of cybertech does seem to be English-centric. At least I’ve not seen any code written otherwise.

Thanks for posting that. It does indeed say “a few regions” and does indeed look like there’s a lack of language diversity.

I’m assuming there is reason for that other than intentional exclusion. But I don’t know what that might be and someone more in the know will need to reply here.

Hello! I’m the engineering manager for Firefox Lockbox.

I promise we’re not meaning to exclude anyone. I think it’s awesome you’re passionate about this and want it available to everyone (we do too).

That’s right! We want everyone in the world using Firefox and our companion app (Firefox Lockbox) but don’t always have the ability to work on everything at once.

As with many software projects, we prioritized a core set of features, in one language to quickly test and validate some ideas and hypothesis. This way we can get feedback while we keep working on all the other things we want to do including internationalizing and translating the app into other languages and releasing it into other regions. This also allows us to reduce the risk in a release (if we found a big problem, we’d rather it affect 100 people than 100,000).

This is just our very first release and will have it translated and available around the world soon: https://github.com/mozilla-lockbox/lockbox-ios/issues/541

We’ll also be building an Android app in the meantime. Stay tuned!

I hope that helps clarify our thinking here. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarification @dreams.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not asking for translations and internationalization. Just make the English version of the app globally available as is and I’m already happy.

Completely understood. We have a few bugs we want to work out first before we open the flood gates to the whole world, but we’re close…

Ok, cool, thanks. Looking forward to it :wink:

We appreciate the feedback!

An English only version of our app is now available worldwide. We hope you’ll check it out and let us know what you think.

Thanks @Sandy_Sage! And I appreciate the app being available worldwide! :+1:t2::blush:
Will try it out for sure.

2 Likes