From the WILTW department (What I Learned This Week).
What is Mozilla Hubs?
Hubs is a new way to get together online within Mixed Reality, right in your browser.
- Remark: All of us connected sitting at their office desks, using their laptops, and plugged in their headphones.
- The standup took about 20 minutes.
- We have an average ROTI of 3.4 (out of 5).
The overall VR/MR experience was qualified as:
- fun (almost everybody said that)
- not very practical
Audio experience: We saw that people were walking up to other people to hear them better. We also turned avatars to get sound on both headphones . All this might feel awkward at first on a laptop but probably works very well when wearing a headset.
We met in the castle, which is quite a walk from the spot where the avatar is initially placed. So if people need to reload (connection broken, inadvertently used the browser back swipe), they also need to re-walk to the rendezvous point.
- Features to convey sentiment would be very helpful (e.g. show a thumbs-up).
- It would be great to personalize our avatars.
- We miss seeing everyone’s faces (compared to Vidyo).
We will run a Hubs standup again, but not on a daily basis.