About:config missing

I don’t buy that reasoning. About config has been in the desktop version since the beginning and everything is just fine and dandy. Look at how a nuisance this setup is.

1. Wanting to change about config and it won’t show up.

2. Search for answers on forums.

3. Find out it is disabled.

4. Uninstall current firefox.

5. Download beta.

6. Login your new account and restore all your Firefox settings.

7. Finally change about config.

All that to change one setting. That is the experience this decision brings to your users. Take that into consideration.

5 Likes

You can install and use Firefox for Android Beta and Nightly (both or either) alongside the main Release version - you do not need to uninstall it.

Our developers are aware that people wishing to use about:config and this is something that may be included in a future update.

animal-muppets

I am sorry, but that is the official line from the developers at this time.

it’s ok do not be sorry i was kidding with you :slight_smile:
hope they make available it soon
and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Going back to Chrome… What a stupidity to not having about:config because some people may be stupid - it’s like limiting a Porsche speed to 100 km/h because some may die over that speed.
P.S.: I don’t want to use beta version day to day for an simple use of an advanced feature…

I just came back to FF after all the negativity surrounding Chrome and being tired of all the crap at Waterfox. I thought this was “Open Source” software?! That would make “The Community” “The Developers”. And I trust that a poll of “The Community” you would find that “about:config” is common and necessary. As are many of the most popular features that were/have been axed by “The Devs”/“The Controlling Group” that spawned Waterfox and whatever other spinoffs.

A major rewrite of your propaganda is necessary to be truly transparent. Or do “The Devs” say “Transparency is unnecessary”?!

So there is a “Controlling Group” of people that call the shots?! So much for “Open Source”.

Ok, so just to confirm, there is no way to disable ‘url fixup’ in firefox for android?
Personally I have NEVER relied on the fixup feature, and about:config has always been the only way to disable it.
Usecase: my 3d printer’s lan dns name is ‘printer’. If I try to access it and it is off or responds too slowly then FIREFOX TAKES ME TO PRINTER.COM? And it does that even when I use abookmark?
So, I cant disable a ‘feature’ I dont want, because the feature needed to disable it isnt available?

4 Likes

My use case is the same as @errol. URL fix up is an anti-feature, and it is ridiculous to have to shift to an unstable version just to disable it.

Hi

Thank you for your feedback. You can add comments and follow progress on this issue at:

I agree with @justsomeone. Dumbing down apps is M-soft nanny trick. Surely Firefox is not going to follow suit? Shame because I’ll have to delete it now

1 Like

There is no way to disable ‘url fixup’ in firefox for android?
I have NEVER relied on the fixup feature, and about:config has always been the only way to disable it.
Usecase: my 3d printer’s lan dns name is ‘VPN’. If I try to access it and it is off or responds too slowly then firefox takes me to website
I cant disable a ‘feature’ I dont want, because the feature needed to disable it isnt available?
:expressionless:

2 Likes

@david_smith1 @Can_Lit @jon_alia @agmlego @errol @FarmerBob @silviuchingaru @mawriz @hepeko @2ae0e47656 @anon37388305 @a.mpoygiatiwths

there a post on the new mozilla connect platform about it so try to vote for it guys

@justsomeguy @strangedata @Henry_Houston @guyfromkcmo
@TarmmMarweit @dudu_public @Sabrina_Jones

there a post on the new mozilla connect platform about it so try to vote for it guys

I got it, I must create another account have a nice day :roll_eyes:

Στις Σάβ, 26 Μαρ 2022, 5:34 μ.μ. ο χρήστης justsomeone via Mozilla Discourse <notifications@discourse.mozilla.org> έγραψε:

1 Like

oh come on…I also found this problem recently…
Fortunately, it can still be opened on FF68 or lower vision :eyes:

the issue the older that version become the more probably it get issue opening sites also it get unsolved security issue which fixed in later version

1 Like

I’ve confirmed, neither Beta or Nightly work with about.config.
I have no idea why they say it works when it dont. I been trying to get the nightly and beta to display about.config and have no luck no matter what I try.
I’ve done the following:

-enabled debug menu in Settings, About Firefox
-disabled any plug-ins
-reset Firefox to default
-reinstalled
-tried other search providers
-tried this on 2 phones, Samsung S9+ and blackview BV9900 pro
-tried syncing my account

Not one thing brings this menu up.
HOW DO YOU GET THIS TO WORK?

1 Like

At least provide some feedback in the form of a simple message. Whenever you open a configurations page and it’s blank any sane person would think something is broken and not “Ah, but surely I need beta or nightly builds for this to be working!”.

Also how would I block auto refreshing? Add-on? I have a couple of important sites that I visit every day. Some idiot of a developer decided to implement auto refreshing (probably for the ads, which I’m blocking anyway :grin:). So now the page would refresh automatically every 2-3 minutes unless I’m playing an audio stream there. And if I pause it, here we go again…Now think about the fact that on your smartphone you are quite often using mobile data. You get the picture.

Both nightly and beta serve completely different user bases. I mean plural because there is also a difference between people who go for te beta and people who go for the nightly. I don’t want to try out new features. I just want to use a normal browser and tweak settings that are actually there but not made available to me. If someone says “But there is an add-on for this and that” I would simply reply like this: using an add-on to change a configuration that is already there is an oxymoron. Add-on is called add-on because it ADDS something extra ON top of the base. Plus more add-ons increase browser instability and vulnerability.

1 Like

Hey Mr. justsomeone,

I like those persons that give back reviews. I almost have the same questions on this topic that you have covered on your post.

have a good future justsomeone.

Thanks