Build a Strategy! Concrete steps for project contributions

This session is facilitated by Justin Flory, Mike Nolan

Show on schedule

About this session

First, attendees learn about the LibreCorps framework developed for UNICEF’s Innovation Fund portfolio organizations. This framework helps organizations understand best practices and behaviors for building healthy open source communities and participating in the wider ecosystems around their project.

Next, we will look at an example open source project and apply our evaluatory framework to it. Starting with an example project demonstrates the nuances and details of how the framework is intended to be used.

Finally, attendees break out into small groups and either pick an open source project of their own choice or from a pool of suggested projects. Each small group is tasked with “grading” the open source project based on the framework and learning to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses.

Audience members will walk away knowing what next steps look like to improve their open source projects using the strategy developed during the session.

Goals of this session

Introduce the crowd to an evaluative framework for free/open source software projects. At the end of the session, attendees should have a new tool for evaluating open source projects on an intersectional basis (i.e. not only about the code). This framework was created during our time working with international, humanitarian organizations funded by UNICEF.

2 Likes

Hi folks! I am so delighted you are here. Please use this place as a way to continue engaging with the topics and resources provided during the workshop. I encourage you to share notes or direct feedback in this thread, and we’ll incorporate the feedback after MozFest.

Here are the essential resources:

Milestone roadmap template

A template to (1) self-identify where a project is, and (2) get concrete ideas on next steps or progress. The list is not exhaustive, but it gives you a place to start from:

Rubric

Evaluate success for the milestones (above) with a detailed rubric. Use this to perform a self-evaluation or as a resource to get a holistic, intersectional understanding of an open source project:

Missions

This is a newer resource created after the presentation and may not get a detailed explanation. The missions are like a “homework” assignment on creating or improving a component detailed in the rubric. They do not contain specific instructions since this can change for any given project, but it provides steps of how to wrap your mind around something if it is all foreign / new:

Stay tuned!

Keep a look out for more information here beyond MozFest. A final update will be posted to this thread at the end of MozFest with instructions on how to keep up-to-date on our work and resources.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meanwhile. You can find me as @jflory7 on Twitter or @jwflory on Telegram.

Looking for a copy of the slides from today’s presentation? Find them here: