[Call for input] Open Letter to Mozilla Leadership

Just to be clear, I appreciate your work and don’t want to come off as ungrateful. As my main complaint is communication, though, I wanted to highlight where I see the problems even here. Thanks for the issue link, I subscribed and am looking forward to it. <3

Here are many worries and sorrows already written I see too. So I wont repeat everything said.

For all able to understand German I like to point to 2 boards of a big German tech site:

And just to make it clear: opening a “hipster”-bureau in Berlin for chatting does NOT HEAL this problem. One has to go to the boards to discuss or at least listen to the sorrows and concerns of people actually USING the browser.

1 Like

As one of the people with many complaints above, I find this one very uncalled for. Mozilla had an office in Berlin for a long time, which was bursting. The community space that they nicely offered was off-site and could only be accessed with Mozilla present.

The search for a new office long predates current issues with Firefox and it’s only at random that both fall together. The new office has a proper community space that can even be accessed by regulars. The employees of that office are extremely active and nice people. It’s better accessible with wheelchairs then the old one.

What would you have preferred? Mozilla closing their office in Berlin? Or just painting the walls white, to make sure its not “too hipster”? Is there a bar that Mozilla must be below for some notion of being “with the people”?

In short: in my eyes Mozilla should try harder to leave it’s own filter bubble and get more in contact to ‘normal’ users.

Do you think the people discussing here are out of the Mozilla bubble. NO, they’re all IN! Do you think people finding the way to the Mozilla office in Berlin or elsewhere are out of this bubble - mainly NOT!
So: having an office does NOT help to get in touch with normal users, cuz they DONT come to you. YOU have to go out (virtually) and try to get in touch in their place.
Probably you are German (dont you?) so have a look here - just for an impression:
https://www.heise.de/forum/heise-online/News-Kommentare/Mozilla-will-Deutschland-besser-verstehen/forum-389953/page-2/
…and see what’s green!
These people are tech-affine and therefore perfect multipliers. But they are OUT of Mozillas filter bubble. THIS are the people Mozilla should listen too!

That’s all I’ve tried to say.

Stevo, I’m outside of Mozilla. I’m neither employed or affiliated with Mozilla.

Yes, I’m from Germany, which means that I know what Heise and the style and reputation of their forums, especially how they give out red and green marks. You can also find my over there, collecting mine.

I can also assure you that people working in those offices are very well aware, too.

I still don’t understand why you are raising this as a negative point. Should Mozilla not have an office? What would that solve?

I’m outside of Mozilla. I’m neither employed or affiliated with Mozilla.

:slight_smile:

Maybe you are outside of Mozilla but you are still inside the Mozilla filter bubble!
That’s a small difference in wording but a huge in perception!
Discussing here in this board means you talk with people very close to your own behaviour. In compare to the general number of user that’s a tiny section in number as well as in tool usage and dev interest.

I dont argue against an office. I just like to point out that an office does not help to avoid bias or misleading perception. This office will not help to “understand Germans in their web usage”.

Thanks for placing me in some filter bubble just at whim.

This is about the only thread I’m active in.

You brought this up with slurry terms, so, yes, you have issues with the office.

We finally published the Open Conversation (yes we changed the name to be more open for discussions).
Check on Open Conversation to Mozilla Leadership