You can re-watch the talk on airmozilla.
Community Workshop on Breaking the Gender Bias took place Tuesday 31st May at 2-3 pm UTC+1.
Future work DEI for Common Voice Platform
Sign up to our Typeform to stay in contact
- Gender Working Group will be calling for members interested in gender and speech-enabled technology.
- In July we will be launching a model competition that focuses on Gender
- In addition, we will be opening a consultation process on gender and sex metadata in the coming months
Why did we hosting this workshop?
Gender bias in voice recognition impacts the ways in which the gender spectrum engages with technology. Researchers around the world are using intersectional feminism and queer theory to think about how to equitably engage with marginalised genders when it comes to voice technology.
- In the paper Investigating the Impact of Gender Representation in ASR Training Data: a Case Study on Librispeech, some researchers are planning on “working on acoustic measures such as fundamental frequency and speech rate to assess something that could be named “voice variability cover” and try to finally get out of the binary sex-matrix".
- Genderless Voice assistants that challenge the mindest around “smart wives” in other words female voices as defaults for voice assistants
- A team of Transgender and non-binary people based at UAL are creating and prototyping Syb; an interface imbued with a unique personality, that promotes trans joy and connects users to queer and trans media.
Materials curated by Hillary, Kat and Rebecca