"Structuring planet data" assessment

@bright-ding The homework planets table looks perfect — I can’t see anything wrong with it. Well done!

Thank you a million times, you have been encouraging me.

Hi friend, how did you go so fast forward? He overtook me on the table.

@chrisdavidmills What do you think about my table?
https://sun-tuck.glitch.me

Hi there @krasnovdanial! You’ve done really well on this; the table structure is largely fine. The only thing you need to change is that the paragraph starting “Data about the planets…” should be put in a <caption> elements, nested inside the <table> element, so that it is linked to the table as a description for accessibility purposes.

See our version at https://mdn.github.io/learning-area/html/tables/assessment-finished/planets-data.html

Thank u so much.)) I would ask you can I use the glitch later, instead of github?

I would ask you can I use the glitch later, instead of github

Yes!

You can use any online tool, as long as I can see it running to test it.

May I ask other questions in one of your social networks, thanks for the feedback.)

Hi @chrisdavidmills
Do you think I should use Photoshop for work?
And if so, what advise.

@krasnovdanial Hi there! You are always welcome to ask questions!

In terms of using photoshop, it really depends on what you want to do. Photoshop is known to be the industry standard tool for graphic designers. It is very powerful, and complex, and has a lot of functions.

If you want to be a professional graphic designer, then you will probably want to use a professional graphic design tool like photoshop, illustrator, etc.

However, if you just want to do more simple tasks, like prototyping user interface ideas, or cropping and scaling images, or optimizing file size/format, then you’d be able to use a simpler tool.

I tend to use Sketch ($99) or Adobe XD (free) for my graphics needs. I’m not a graphic designer, so my needs are relatively simple.

thanks for the answer, but I would like to become a web developer (front-end) or even higher)). Just do not you think that creating sites can help me with this?

If you want to be a web developer or full stack developer, then you don’t need to photoshop. To get good at code, just work hard, study a lot, and keep building apps, sites, and programs. It is a good idea to get as much practice in as possible. Ask your friends what they’d like you to create, to get ideas. Maybe even ask local schools, charities, churches, etc. if any of them want websites!

I think you still do need a graphics app, as you will want to optimize images for us on your websites. But something like Adobe XD is free and will do what you need.

@chrisdavidmills I am infinitely grateful to you, you inspire me, and your MDN training course is immensely valuable to me. I will try. And I also wanted to ask, will I have to create a website design myself? I mean create images.

Cool, I am just glad to help!

In terms of creating images, it really depends on how you end up working — will you just be a one-person company, or end up working at an agency in a team, etc.?

If you are in a team, you’ll probably end up with roles like this:

• UX/User researcher - works out what the target audience for the site wants it to do, and how to design the interactions on the site to be efficient and logical to use
  • Graphic designer - designs the graphics and what the UI/layout will look like.
  • front-end web developer - takes the graphics and layout from the graphic designer and writes HTML/CSS/JavaScript to turn them into a functioning website
  • back-end developer - creates the database and backend code to dynamically generate the webpages created by the front-end web developer with updated context specific data inserted into them.
  • full-stack developer - might do both of the above roles in a single role.

If you end up being a front-end developer in a team like the one described above, then no, you won’t have to create all the graphics yourself.

If you are just a one person team, then you might have to. Or you could just pay a graphic designer to create the graphics for you, as a sub-contractor.

There are many different variations on working styles and setups…!

@chrisdavidmills
OK I understood . But first, I think it’s worth gaining experience as a team. I study on my own, and it will be difficult for me to first compete with those who have a diploma, but I don’t worry about it, I have my own potential and I know that I will be a competitor!

YES! That is the right attitude :wink:

Just remember that a lot of people who are professional web developers don’t have degrees or diplomas. They can be helpful, but experience and building a portfolio are really more important.

Hey Chris! First of all, thank you for the help and content you put out to help everyone. I am a fresher graduate in electrical looking to start working in the IT sector since things arent working out good in my own job market. I started an internship in an IT firm and I am really thankful for all the material provided here. It’s really helping me learn and grow the technologies from ground up ( HTML, CSS, JS). I just want you to check my code once and let me know what can i do better to optimize it or some tips from your side. Thanks again!
PS. The readings are wrong for the last 4-5 planets. Sorry!

Planets Data

Planets Data

<table>
  <caption>Data about the planets of our solar system (Planetary facts taken from <a href="#">Nasa's Planetart Fact Sheet - Metric)</a></caption>
  <colgroup>
    <col span="2"><col style="background-color:#DCC48E; border:4px solid #C1437A;"><col span="9">
</colgroup>
    <thead>
        <tr>
            <th colspan="2">&nbsp;</th>
            <th>Name</th><th>Mass<br>(10<sup>24</sup>kg)</th>
            <th>Diameter<br>(km)</th><th>Density<br>(kg/m<sup>3</sup>)</th>
            <th>Gravity<br>(m/s<sup>2</sup>)</th>
            <th>Length of day<br>(hours)</th>
            <th>Distance from sun<br>(10<sup>6</sup>km)</th>
            <th>Mean temperature<br>(<sup>o</sup>C)</th><th>Number of moons</th><th>Notes</th>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <th colspan="2" rowspan="4">Terrestrial Planets</th>
            <th>Mercury</th>
            <td>0.330</td><td>4879</td><td>5427</td><td>3.7</td><td>4222.6</td><td>57.9</td><td>167</td><td>0</td><td>Closest to the Sun</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <th>Venus</th>
                <td>4.87</td><td>12104</td><td>5243</td><td>8.9</td><td>2802.0</td><td>108.2</td><td>464</td><td>0</td><td>&nbsp;</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <th>Earth</th>
                <td>5.97</td><td>12756</td><td>5514</td><td>9.8</td><td>24.0</td><td>149.6</td><td>15</td><td>1</td><td>Our World!</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <th>Mars</th>
                <td>0.642</td><td>6792</td><td>3933</td><td>3.7</td><td>24.7</td><td>227.9</td><td>-65</td><td>2</td><td>The red Planet</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <th rowspan="4">Jovian Planets</th><th rowspan="2">Gas Giants</th><th>Jupiter</th>
            <td>0.330</td><td>4879</td><td>5427</td><td>3.7</td><td>4222.6</td><td>57.9</td><td>167</td><td>0</td><td>The largest planet</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <th>Saturn</th><td>0.330</td><td>4879</td><td>5427</td><td>3.7</td><td>4222.6</td><td>57.9</td><td>167</td><td>0</td><td>&nbsp;</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
                <th rowspan="2">Ice Giants</th><th>Uranus</th>
                <td>0.330</td><td>4879</td><td>5427</td><td>3.7</td><td>4222.6</td><td>57.9</td><td>167</td><td>0</td><td>&nbsp;</td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
                <th>Neptune</th><td>0.330</td><td>4879</td><td>5427</td><td>3.7</td><td>4222.6</td><td>57.9</td><td>167</td><td>0</td><td>&nbsp;</td>
            </tr>
            <th colspan="2">Dwarf Planets</th><th>Pluto</th><td>0.330</td><td>4879</td><td>5427</td><td>3.7</td><td>4222.6</td><td>57.9</td><td>167</td><td>0</td><td>Declassified as a planet in 2006, but this <a href="#">remains controversial.</a></td>
    </thead>
    <tbody>

</tbody>
</table>

Hi there @Akshay_Balwani, and thanks for sending your code in.

I’ve had a look, and your code looks really good — I’ve not got any particular comments on what you could improve. Well done!

PS. The readings are wrong for the last 4-5 planets. Sorry!

Do you mean something I’ve included in the data is wrong? Or something you’ve included? I just copied mine from the cited NASA page :wink:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: @chrisdavidmills . I actually was asking if in general I should improve anything in terms of coding or understanding, since I have starting coding again after a fairly long time.
And regarding the data I meant my data in the code is wrong for the last 4-5 planets because I was too lazy to change it xD . Had no doubt on your data :smiley: .
Thank you for taking the time to reply ! Cheers!

Ah, we are all good then! :wink:

Yeah, the code looks good so far; keep up the good work.

1 Like