[Support] uBlock Origin

Hi Raymond! Thank you very much for the extension of uBlock!
Prompt please, there was a situation when it is necessary to completely remove the extension of the uBlock (I’ll install it again later!)! Where there are still traces after removal?

Has anyone experienced this before?
I have not been able to see the uBO popup panel since upgrading to Firefox Quantum but everything still seems to be working with the extension.

• Current versions:
    FF 58.0.2
    uBO v1.15.6
    (has affected every version since upgrading to FF Quantum 57+).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling uBO add-on with no success. I can still access the preferences from the add-ons tab and logger-ui.html if I manually enter the URI, so it does appear that the extension is doing everything it should.
Any suggestions what I can do to see the popup panel again?
Thanks

This resembles the issue reported here. Do you have apz.allow_zooming set to true in about:config?

1 Like

You are exactly correct, thank you very much! I clearly hadn’t tried to use other add-ons’ “doorhangers” as I would have relaised it was not specific to uBO (much searching hadn’t yielded anything relevant hence why I jumped in here).
Many thanks for your helpful response and the work you do with uBlock Origin, it is much appreciated.

I use uBlock Origin v1.15.10 on Firefox ESR 52.6.0 (32-bit).

The filter lists do not update automatically any more. I also cannot successfully update them manually. I deactivated all other add-ons to check whether they might interfere in any way. However, even with all other add-ons being deactivated it is not possible to update the filter lists.

Thanks for your help with this.

EDIT: No filter update problems with uBlock Origin v1.13.8 . Why?

Please help, is there some way I can simplify the filter list here so that 1 line will include all numbers in the list?

www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(1)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(2)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(3)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(4)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(5)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(6)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(7)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(8)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(9)
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(10)

My attempted solutions:
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type*
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:*
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.*

None of them worked. I’m confused.

@anonamoth,

You could try putting the asterisk inside parentheses:
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item:nth-of-type(*)

Or this might be better yet:
www.kijiji.ca##.top-feature.search-item

@gorhill This may sound like a really dumb question, and if it is be kind Raymond. But I was wondering how to achieve a particular use-case with RULES and if it can only be done with FILTERS or an entirely different way that I haven’t considered (suggestion welcome).

Say you have siteA.tld and you want it to be able to access itself (aka first-party) just fine but you want to prevent any other site on the web (aka third-party) from accessing it. So if you are on siteB.tld or siteN.tld then any link to siteA.tld is blocked.

I have tried several variations of the rule and some just get stripped suggesting bad syntax but others are accepted but they don’t produce the result that I am looking for and any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

I have tried:

• siteA.tld * 3p block
    (which I thought was the correct approach)
  • siteA.tld 3p * block
    (just feels wrong and didn’t work anyway)
  • * siteA.tld 3p block
    (I know, at this point I am just taking shots in the dark)

and none of them have produced any result that I am looking for, despite not being stripped for syntax. Thoughts?

Please advise.

Looks like what you want is:

* siteA.tld * block
siteA.tld siteA.tld * noop

From the popup panel’s point of view, this looks like the second picture in this page (i.e. facebook.com): a global block rule and a local noop rule for siteA.tld.

1 Like

Ahh, thank you. Surprisingly, I thought of that afterwards but then talked myself out of it thinking it was a bit convoluted, but looking at it again makes perfect logic sense. Thank you for that.

Just a curiosity based question, any chance we can get uB0 to do it in a single line rule by leveraging the already robust built-in 3p designation? Essentially saying, that if a given domain is 3p block it (which would then ignore it automatically in 1p)? Just thinking out loud, not sure how involved that would be for you.

Something along the lines of: * siteX.tld 3p block (excuse syntax, just for sake of demo) sort of an inverse concept on say siteY.tld * 3p block where we are blocking 3p originating from to flipping it to blocking 3p destination to. Thoughts?

Thanks for the assist.

Sometimes I want to temporarily disable uBlock origin completely in a session. I learned that instead of disabling it in the Firefox Add-on section I can do it much easier directly in uBlock origin by setting an “allow all” rule (* * * allow) with a click on the green “all” field.

This works fine and without making it permanent this is reverted when I restart the browser. But until then uBlock origin is disabled and it’s possible that a user forgets to enable it again while in the same browser session.

Would it be possible to indicate this “allow all” rule on the icon somehow like it’s already done with the inactive state (greyed out) and the number of hits? Maybe just another color or an additional symbol?

@gorhill Did something change in latest beta .19b1 with the way the extension is installed? It never required a restart before, but today on updating to this version it required a restart, was wondering what changed? TIA.

First, thank you for an excellent add-on which I use for a long time. I use the latest versions of uBo and FF and for the past month or two I have a problem with Yahoo! mail which I never had before. When I want to send an email I can not open my contact list (it is hanging forever), when I type an email address it doesn’t pop up, when I do a search in mail it doesn’t work (it is also hanging forever). When I had some other issues before I always purged all cashes in 3-rd party filters’ tab and then clicked on update now button. It always helped to fix a problem, but not this time.
I tried dynamic filtering to un-break Yahoo! mail. I turned each red or yellowish cell to green and then reloaded mail page. I did that one cell at a time to find what causes the problem. I couldn’t find anything, nothing worked. Then I did a test. When I start FF I have all these problems then I disable uBo, reload mail page and of course all problems are gone and everything works as it should. Then I enable uBo, reload mail page and I everything still works correctly. The above described problems don’t appear as I’ve expected. Only when I close FF and restart it all these problems appear again. Then I repeat the procedure to make the uBo work correctly.
This tells me that problem is not in the filter lists, but in the uBo itself. One of the updates causes the problems. I am sick and tired of doing this procedure for more than a month in hope that one of the uBo’s updates will fix the problem. Since they didn’t, I decided to report the problem here - maybe someone already experienced that problem and knows how to fix it. Any help to resolve the issue is really appreciated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/874hqt/-/dwc057t/?context=1 seems to describe an official download page that shows whether the extension is installed.

Is anyone aware of such a page for uBlock Origin?

Just one thing comes to mind. A few months ago for addons.mozilla.org there was development of a switch interface, for example (for a different extension):

– but that feature has not yet made it to the live service.

@yefvayn, sorry to hear that, it sounds like a pain. I use Yahoo Mail too and uB0 has never given me any problems with it. I’m currently running uB0 1.15.24 on FF 59.0.2.

Thank you for your response. I use same versions as you do. It is very puzzling now. About a month or two ago I didn’t have any problems with uBO.

Forgot to tell you that I am running Windows 7 on my PC. What about you?

The most important information with regard to what uBO does to a site are the filter lists, rulesets and settings. Especially the filter lists. Using the logger is the way to diagnose filters/rules issues.

@yefvayn, macOS – but ^ what gorhill said ^

I tried today to follow my usual procedure to disable uBO then enable it to make Yahoo Mail work correctly. But before I did that I checked if the problem still existed. To my surprise it disappeared and everything works correctly now as it was couple months before. I didn’t do anything, didn’t even purged all cashes in 3-rd party filters’ tab and then updated the filters. Of course, I am very happy now but how could this happen? Maybe the latest update of uBO on 4/02/18 fixed the problem? Although the version number stays the same - 1.15.24.