Update on Mozilla Common Voice

Dear Common Voice Community,

This is my first post, but before I get into it, I want to say ‘thank you!’. As I learn more about this community, I am humbled and impressed by your commitment and support. My name is Sarah, and I’ve been working at the Mozilla Foundation on Common Voice since this post in January.

Today, Common Voice has settled in at the Mozilla Foundation, following a three month process of transitioning from Mozilla Corporation. We’ve hired a few key roles including a talented Product Lead who will be joining in late May, 2021 and, we’ll soon be making an offer to a new Community Manager who will join the team as soon as they’re able. Additionally, we’re looking for talented people to join us as Community Fellows (2) and a Machine Learning Fellow. These fellows will be based in Africa and focused on an expanded version of our African languages project. Please spread the word, or apply if you feel like you’d be a good fit.

As you know, our goal has been to find a stable home for the project, and to build a set of strong relationships with funders and corporate partners who want to see Common Voice succeed. We’ll be announcing the first of these partnerships on Monday, April 12th when I’ll share more information here as well. We believe these partnerships will not only ensure continued sustainability and stewardship of Common Voice, but also present continued opportunities for growth of the community, the platform and the dataset.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or thoughts. And, look for more from me on Monday.

Sarah

16 Likes

Thanks for good news.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Feel free to reach out to me (mkohler:mozilla.org on matrix) if you have any questions around the Sentence Collector or Sentence Extractor.

4 Likes

Hi, thank you for the information, I look forward to this information to boost the French community

2 Likes

Nice! Looking forward for the new people to joining the project and us the Chinese speaking communities in TW and HK would be happy to provide any support. Already spreading the news of the opening position on various mozillians channels through telegram.

1 Like

Dear Common Voice Community,

To continue on Mozilla’s commitment of keeping you updated on all things Common Voice - and building on my post from Friday - we want to ensure that you all see the latest announcement about the future support and growth of the Common Voice platform.

Common Voice has been housed at the Mozilla Foundation since early this year. Today, we’re excited to share that we’ve partnered with NVIDIA, a partnership that will see Common Voice grow and expand. The Mozilla Foundation will still be the data stewards of the Common Voice dataset, which will remain CC0, and support the many language communities that use the Common Voice platform. In addition, the Common Voice codebase will remain, as always, open source.

As always, please reach out with any questions or thoughts. We are excited for this new phase for Common Voice!

Sarah

5 Likes

Hello, I am Kevin from Nairobi, Kenya. I have been working on common voice (Sw) since 2019 and I am looking forward to publishing Swahili with my team and making it better. I applied for the position and can only hope for the best. Currently, I added about 36k sentences to the sentence collector tool and I have been having many questions about the reviews since then, I will be asking them as we move along with the validations. Thanks again!

4 Likes