Weekly Update: 8th July 2021 - Roadmap Sessions + more

:wave:t6:Hey Common Voice Community,

For this week’s weekly update we would like to share with you two amazing opportunities:

1. Common Voice Roadmap, Community Session: 18th and 19th August :railway_track:

As mentioned in a previous weekly update, we have been working on the Common Voice Roadmap for 2021/2022. The roadmap outlines the key priorities and workstreams for the future of Common Voice.

We would love to hear your views and input at our virtual open roadmap sessions!

This will take place on Zoom on the following dates:

Wednesday, 18th August

• 7:30pm - 8:30pm (UTC+4)
  • 4:30pm – 5:30pm (BST)
  • 3:30pm - 4:30pm (UTC)
  • 8:30am - 9:30pm (PT)
  • 11:30am - 12:30pm (ET)

Thursday, 19th August

• 10:00am – 11:00am (BST)
  • 9:00am - 10:00am (UTC)
  • 2:30pm - 3:30pm (UTC+5:30)
  • 6pm to 7pm (UTC+9)

Please save the dates in your calendar. A registration link will be shared in advance of the sessions.

If you are unable to attend one of the sessions, we will provide an opportunity to share your views asynchronously.

We look forward to hearing your ideas!

2. Friyay! Common Voice on Mozfest Community Friday :partying_face:

This Friday we are taking part in a Mozfest Community Friday on the topic of

‘Common Voice: Democratising Voice Technology”. I will be co-hosting this session with Huber (Guarani), Wim (Frisian and Dutch) and Francis.

If you are on Twitter, we would love for you to join in the discussion! Use #MozFest to ask questions and answer the questions we will be asking.

I welcome feedback and suggestions for social media engagement ideas, so please feel free to share.

If you have any questions regarding the two topics please feel free to share them with us.

All the best,

Hillary :sparkles:

4 Likes

Hello!

It’s Carme, from TeMU in Barcelona Supercomputer Center. We are planing a big campaign to collect voice samples in Catalan using CommonVoice, starting in November, as part of a project to develop AI resources for Catalan. We expect a massive participation, since we’re involving many cultural organizations and even the Catalan government with some public infrastructures: secondary schools, universities, etc. Our goal will be to collect about 500k samples in two months.

I’ll try to attend the roadmap sessions in August, but I’m not sure I’ll manage. Is there anything we should know with regards to integrating our efforts in the CommonVoice roadmap? Is there anyone we can contact in case we have questions about this?

Thank you,

Carme

3 Likes

Hey Carme,

Nice to meet you, I’m Hillary :wave:t6:. Your campaign sounds awesome. Just in case you weren’t aware there are localisable images you could use to promote your campaign and other resources.

Feel free to reach out to me regarding any questions you have about the roadmap. We will be sharing in future weekly updates with the community, how you can engage with the roadmap outside of these sessions.

Hola Carme! :smiley: Quant de temps! M’alegra veure-te per aquí! Tenim també un xat, pots entrar allà per tindre respostes ràpides a les teues preguntes. :slight_smile:

Hi, Hillary.

Thank you for reaching back to me. I am aware of your communication resources, I was told about it and I passed the message to our communication strategists. We are quite excited about the project. Even if the Catalan community is very active in CommonVoice thanks to the work of Softcatalà, this new project should give an important boost to our language. I’ll keep an eye to the weekly updates to be sure I don’t miss anything.

2 Likes

Hola!
Sí, em va fer molta il·lusió veure que corres per aquí! Estem preparant un projecte molt maco, ja us aniré explicant.
Genial això del xat, hi faré un cop d’ull.
Fins aviat! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello again.

I’d like to know if we can use all the images here to promote our campaign: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1RfgsCI6-rs1crh7OhlxryXO5-zN8JREr

I’m not in charge of the communication strategy, but I think they can be very useful.

Thank you.

Hi Carme,

yeah, you can they are free to use.

If you would like to see how other community members have used or created some check out this topic: Share your event printing materials

Also, you can see the text style guide on slides 50-51: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fWz7XOtwKsAryKjxQOy52sH8VUUsiw3Xt5yKdwMIFfg/edit#slide=id.g5f041a7b0e_0_575

If you have any questions please free to ask.

Hello Hillary,

Thank you for your reply. I’m sharing the information with our communication team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Carme,

You are welcome.

Just a heads up, registration has opened for the Roadmap sessions. If you would like to attend please register here -> https://ti.to/Mozilla/cv-open-roadmap-2021

1 Like

Thank you, Hillary. I’m not sure I can attend but hopefully someone of the team will. Anyway, I’ll look forward to reading about the roadmap.

1 Like

Hey @Carme ,

Thanks for your patience, we are now launching the survey engagement for the roadmap. The link includes a recording from the open roadmap sessions.

Please feel free to share your thoughts via the Typeform survey

2 Likes