Why does Firefox Developer Edition exist as a separate edition?

(Ansis Māliņš) #1

In other words, why would anyone use the regular Firefox now? What can it do that the Developer Edition can’t?

(Daniele Scasciafratte) #2

Seems that on https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/ there is no su much explanation but dev edition is a beta version with few stuff enabled as default and I think also with the marionette support built-in.

(Blake Winton) #3

The other difference (which I just found out today) is that sometimes (mostly the last week of each 6-week cycle) the Beta channel will have Release Candidate builds. So currently,= Beta is running version 57 with the full Firefox Release branding, whereas DevEdition is running 58. :slight_smile:

(Ansis Māliņš) #4

So, regular Firefox is more stable?

(Blake Winton) #5

I believe so, but I haven’t seen any data one way or the other. :wink:

(Julien Wajsberg) #6

yeah, DevEdition will get the result “beta” branch right after our branching, that is about 1 week before the actual beta channel.

(Julien Wajsberg) #7

yes !

At the beginning of a cycle, DevEdition is just yesterday’s nightly. So it can have bugs, be unstable, etc. Localization can be off as well.

Although I use Nightly myself and it’s mostly fine :slight_smile:

(J. Ryan Stinnett) #8

This MDN page tries to highlight what sets Dev. Edition apart:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Developer_Edition

One goal with Dev. Edition is to get DevTools updates in the hands of devs more quickly than waiting for DevTools changes to make it all the way to Release, while also offering a bit more stability than Nightly.

(J. Ryan Stinnett) #9

Also, here is a similar thread on this topic:

(Chris Thomas) #10

The thread above was mine when I had a similar question.

There’s basically Stable, Beta, DevEd, and Nightly.

Nightly is self explanatory but Beta & DevEd is where my confusion was. Both are on the Beta channel and with the introduction of Quantum they’re both very very similar at this point. DevEd comes with a few different settings checked and cosmetic changes but it’s my knowledge that both can be setup the exact same way and since both are on Beta channel will have the same features.

These features will hit Stable November 14th. Once Stable is on Quantum I’ll go back to using that as my daily browser, I can’t stand old Firefox right now after experience beta. I have DevEd and Nightly installed as well for developing on.

(Rforumz+Ff) #11

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.