Ablock BLOCKS ITSELF

Version 56.0 (32 bit)

CANNOT DOWLOAD my favorite extension after this catastrophic mess that
you created a few days ago!!!

Please do something quick. Ads are a nuisance ! I completely forgot
what the Internet looks like with them.

The fix has been installed but nothing Adblock still won’t come back!

Which fix is installed? The “hotfix” extension does not work on Firefox 56 according to most people who have posted about Firefox 56.

Mozilla may release an official hotfix for older versions of Firefox that can’t run the newer WebExtensions code in the original hotfix. That is “to be determined.”

Until then, you would need to consider an unofficial and unsupported workaround for getting the new certificate needed to verify extension signatures. For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkspmk/addons_fix_for_5602_older/

This is the fix that you have sent me:

hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973

Complete• This
is a hotfix that updates an intermediate certificate used for signing add-ons. It is one of the mechanisms used to fix bug 1548973.

And yes, it doesn’t work on my version. I WILL NOT upgrade, to Quantum because it doesn’t support the ad-ons that I have been using for years. Colorful tabs no longer works, neither does Tab Mix Plus.

Maybe I will try the fix tomorrow. In the meantime, “to be determined” is not an answer that I can accept. I have already downloaded Chrome and refuse, like many others, refuse to be forced into upgrading a newer version of Firefox.

Why must you complicate things?

1 Like

Um, of course that the time to upgrade has come (and gone).

Unfortunately Mozilla had decided that webextensions are the way forward… Not only that, but the new(er) versions (edit) of Firefox are simply atrocious with bringing bloatware and compiling components which have NO business (whatsoever) being part of the system and should’ve instead been developed as plugins, or something. :slight_smile:

Having said that, what are you going to do with a 2-3, 5 year old browser - down the road? Might as well look up a copy of Netscape, then.

*Firefox still remains bearable through (extensive modification of) about:config settings, for as long as Mozilla will allow it. We’ve seen how Google Chrome is hard-coding what used to be available through chrome:flags and, fingers crossed, hopefully this’ll never happen to our favorite browser; no matter the “market conditions” (or whatever, blah)

The extension loaded by that study uses new APIs found in Firefox 61 and above. It wasn’t intended for unsupported older versions.

There is work under way on an extension to fix the problem in older versions of Firefox. Maybe it will be ready tomorrow or the next day. I’m not quite sure of the intended mechanism for distributing it.

Ha! Still no fix for Version (56.0 32 bit) Really, how difficult can it be to write up another one for us ?

An extension was built last week but was still in QA as of the weekend. This is my summary of the status with available links: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/armagadd-on_2_0.html

Well, at least this one worked!

Still can’t get my Colorful Tabs back, unless I upgrade to version 57, but then I’ll lose my favorite add-on “All in one Sidebar”!

What a bummer!