About the Firefox for Android Add-ons category

This space is specifically for developers with technical questions as they prepare their desktop add-ons for availability on Android.

More information here.

2 Likes

Hey, I recently developed my first Firefox extension for android. Is this new open ecosystem open to more niche add-ons or private extensions? It seems like now to run this in my phone or share it Iā€™d currently have to get put in a small approved list but with these changes many more extensions will be allowed now?

Welcome to our little corner of Discourse, @aconder.

Previously there were two ways Android users could get an extension. First, the most common way is that users would choose from a small curated collection of extensions on https://addons.mozilla.org/android/ (support docs). Second, users of Firefox for Android Beta or Nightly can create a collection and make a select set of extensions available when signed into the browser (support docs).

With the change we recently announced any extension developer will be able to make their extension published on AMO available to Firefox for Android. So to answer your question, yes, there will be a lot more extensions available in the not-too-distant future.

3 Likes