About the Learn category

This category is for anyone learning web development, and particularly those who are working their way through the tutorials on MDN’s Learning web development area.

If you:

• Are searching for a marking guide for one of the assessments.
  • Have a general question related to learning web development, or are stuck on something.

Please ask here.

If you have questions or comments about MDN more generally, please post in the parent MDN category.

13 Likes

Hi @jswisher, I’m working my way through the Learn Web Development series, currently on the Django series, and I have a ongoing communication thread with @hamishwillee over in “https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/mdn”. Would it be more appropriate to move that discussion over here instead?

Thanks!

don

Hi Don,

Certainly, you can relocate the thread to this category if you like. Since this sub-category is new, it doesn’t have any topics posted yet, or any affordances to encourage new ones. I’ll deal with such housekeeping soon. But please go ahead and move your thread if you’d like.

@jswisher

Okay great. Thank you. I have one more question. I identified an editorial change(documentation bug) needed for this page:
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript/First_steps/Math)

The link for this page, located in the left side menu/navigation area, is missing the word ‘math’ from the title. It should read ‘Basic math in Javascript - numbers and operators.’

I attempted to edit the page, however, these links do not appear to be editable in the page editor. My question is what is the best way to report this? It looks like this might fall into the category of a Documentation Bug and therefore reported via bugzilla. Would that be correct and would it be appropriate for me to do that?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Don

Yes, a Developer Documentation bug in Bugzilla is an appropriate way to handle this type of thing. It will get triaged that way. However, it’s unlikely to be considered a high priority bug.

As it happens, that side-navigation menu is created by the LearnSideBar macro, which is maintained in Github. So, if you’re comfortable with Github, you could submit a pull request that fixes this problem. If you’re not, just submit a bug in Bugzilla. (I think that’s preferred over using Github issues. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.)

1 Like

I am sorry very new at all this trying to figure every thing out

2 Likes

Hi Janet,

thank you.
this is regarding the add/remove event listeners test - events1.
i got to change the text on the button but when i had the remove event listener it doesn’t allow me to alternate back and forth. please see the link to codepen and please help.

Hello jswisher, i have difficulty coming up with lines of codes to solve the Loop 3 of Test your skills: Loops. Help I need help on how to solve it, or help with lines of codes that solved the challenge to study and understand it.

I need accesssment on the following accesssments:

1. Marking_up_a_letter
    Solution in My code 1
  2. Structuring_a_page_of_content
    Solution in My code 2

Both on codepen
Thanks a bunch @jswisher

This Course it´s everything I dreamed about´… Instead Udemy Courses where every teacher has theyre own overiview stuff… MDN has every Proffesional needs being rely with… All under standars… But I´m kind of messy with all information, at some point I feel very messy…

1 Like

Hello,
There is no direct link to

and

on the main menu on the left of /Learn guides section. You can only reach these pages above as a content of other pages. This is kind of confusing and hard to find them.

Thank you for letting us know @cukcan. I will bring this to the attention of the content team.

Schalk
Staff Community Manager - MDN Web Docs

Hi, I am working on the MDN training and have asked my team to work on it as well. I submitted some assessments and was about to submit a third. Now they are being flagged as spam. Why? Is there a different way to submit assessments? I tried to follow the guidelines, but now am wondering if this is a good way to do training. It’s a lot of work to do the assessment, set up a JSFiddle, and submit an assessment request, so if I am doing it the wrong way I would appreciate some guidance.

Note that in my messages it says:
You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.
I edited my posts but they are still hidden! Also - why were why assessments marked as spam??

Sorry to hear, this seems strange. Could you link me to one of the assessments you submitted?

Schalk
Staff Community Manager - MDN Web Docs

Yes, the post was eventually unblocked: Assessment requested for Links

1 Like

I am looking for an assessment for my ‘Letter Markup’.
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Mir and welcome to the community :wave:

Congratulations! Great work. :medal_sports:

Here are some comments:

• For better readability I recommend breaking the lines after <br>:
    <strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
    Awesome Science faculty<br>
    University of Awesome<br>
    Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
    USA<br>
    <strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890<br>
    <strong>Email</strong>: no_reply@example.com

If you take a close look, you’ll also see that I just wrote <br>. Your version with the space and the slash is still valid, but it isn’t necessary anymore.
  • <time> isn’t part of the address and should go in it’s own <p> with the “sender-column” class.
  • <dl> should be right before the first <dt>.
  • The quote on the last line should be inside <q> and it’s source inside <cite>:
    <p>University of Awesome motto: <q>Be awesome to each other.</q> -- <cite>The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></cite></p>

For future exercises please open a new topic.
I hope my comments are helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a nice weekend,
Michael

2 Likes

Hi @jswisher i am trying to make this UI but i am failed can u tell me what i am doing wrong here?

Hello!
I testet my html code at m3 about the https://validator.w3.org/nu/#textarea and showed me the errorr:No p element in scope but a p end tag seen. i have done this mistake 4 times and i still dont understand why. My code below:

response

Dr. Eleanor Gaye
Awesome Science faculty
University of Awesome
Bobtown, CA 99999,
USA
Tel:123-456-7890
Email:no_reply@example.com

20 January 2016
Miss Eileen Dover
4321 Cliff Top Edge
Dover, CT9 XXX
UK

Re: Eileen Dover university application

Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your PhD next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.

Starting

We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:

• First semester: 9 September 2016
  • Second semester: 15 January 2017
  • Third semester: 2 May 2017
Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.

You can find more information about important university dates on our website.

Subjects of study

At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:

• Turning H2O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C14H12O3.)
  • Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 × 103 increasing to 3 × 104.)
  • HTML and CSS constructs for representing musical scores.
So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.

Exotic dance moves

Exotic dance moves

Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:

Polynesian chicken dance
A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300BC, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".
Icelandic brownian shuffle
Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.
Arctic robot dance
An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.
For more of my research, see my exotic dance research page.

Yours sincerely,
Dr Eleanor Gaye

University of Awesome motto: "Be awesome to each other."
The memoirs of Bill S Preston, Esq