Add-on request: Find open MDN editors

I work on a lot of stuff at once, much of the time, and as a result sometimes I have to dig around through my browser windows looking for the tabs that have my editors open in them.

I would like to have a browser extension that gives me a menu I can click in my toolbar that shows me all of the tabs I have open, across all of my windows, Anyone know of such a tool, or think they can put one together?

All it needs to do is add a button to the toolbar that when clicked displays a popup showing a list of the matching tabs. For MDN, the tabs would be pages starting with https://developer.mozilla.org/ and ending with $edit. Selecting one would switch to that tab. Easy as pie!

Sheppy

Hi @sheppy, I read your topic a couple of hours after you post it and I really wanted to help you with such request. Unfortunately, I didn’t know how to make add-ons… but, the idea already grew into my mind and sooner than I expected, I was reading already about web extensions :grin:.

It took me a while, the examples there used a lot of some new JS concepts that I didn’t know until then, but with passion and determination, here you are:

and the github repository, in case someone is interested :wink:.

Features:
Well, what I understood you asked was a tool that could allow you to change between MDN edit pages. That was fulfilled along with these other other features:

1. Filters all opened tabs using ‘start’ and ‘end’ auto queries constructed from the active tab url. And gives you the option to activate/deactivate them.

‘start’ auto query is capable to generate groups of a) same domain b) about: category c) file: category, etc.

‘end’ auto query is capable to generate groups that ends in ‘$[text]’ or ‘.[text]’, last one is the same as grouping per file extension.

2. Access and brings up any filtered tab once clicked, even if it’s from other window.

Thoughts & Feedback:
Please, let me know, sheppy, if the extension is good enough to help you with your hard work or if you would like to see different features/characteristics/style in it :blush:.

I have plans to improve the popup style (it’s quite simple at the moment), as well as to add extra features in the future — for example, presets that will allow you to use editable regEx expressions to group tabs into personalized categories (social networks, documentation, etc).

And for any other person that gets to read the comment, I would be so happy to hear any ideas to improve the functionality or how to give a beautiful style to the extension and of course, any bugs found as well :sweat_smile:.

I attach some screenshots of the extension filter capabilities.

2 Likes

Wow! This is brilliant! II do have a request: since I tend to use the
context menu’s “Edit page” button to start editing on MDN, my edit pages
usually have “?src=context” added to the end. I’d like to be able to ignore
that. Perhaps an optional customizable third filter?

Of course, the whole thing could also be done using a regexp, but they’re
so non-friendly to use that having an alternative is nice. Still, if you
get ambitious, allowing the use of a regexp instead of the start/end (and
the suggested “ignore”) filters.

This is wonderful! Thank you!

Also, I love your ideas for future improvements in general. This is a really great add-on that has potential to be enormously useful for a lot of people other than just me.

I see, that’s something essential for you to use it. I’ll think on an easy fix (but with a broad scope) that can consider trailing queries to ignore. I’ll have something prepared for tomorrow.

Yes, the idea is to introduce basic users with ‘easy’ auto options in order to get good results with little adjustments. But! for advanced users, give access to editable regex presets. This last stage of development needs to be able to save such presets, and for that I’ll learn how to use cookies api.

I’ll let you know through this channel when the extension receives important upgrades. Thank you for your suggestions :grin:

Hi @sheppy , the upgrade for the extension is up. Sorry for the delay, it took me a little more than I expected :grin:. Please let me know how is it now.

edit: I originally wrote a whole post descriptiont here, but ended up deciding to move it to a whole new topic — for future updates and feedback. Hope you don’t mind following it there.

Here’s the new post topic:

And here is the web extension with what you asked and more :wink:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-fx/