Adding Odia-language speech

I personally would like to contribute towards the Odia language. There was a project that I started last year to grow more recorded words, and there are 2000+ words that can be uploaded if there is an option. But Odia Wikipedia and Wikisource are also great source for CC-BY-SA, Public Domain and CC-BY licensed text that can be used.

I have another question. I see a lot of cross-open source project collaborations here. Maybe you can think of this as well. If someone records a Wikipedia article, there should be an option to download the same and upload it on Commons, Wikipedia’s sister project, so that the recorded version can be used for Wikipedia when it is used here on Common Voice. It will be a win-win situation for both the communities (Mozilla and Wikimedia).

1 Like

Great! Let me know if you want to start translating the website into Odia. As for your 2000+ recorded words, would be great to include it on our Odia data download page, once we put that up.

Btw, CC-BY and CC-BY-SA are not compatible with the Common Voice license, which is CC-0.

I am open to collaboration with Wikimedia on the data, but our team has no capacity to drive that effort. We are definitely here to support anyone who would like make that happen though.

Perfect. As I own the copyright of those words, I can change them (I won’t say easily as that word does not exist on the Wikimedia world!). But I am exploring a way to use a bot or something of that sort to change licenses for such a large library.

I can totally understand the huge task that you and other friends there have. Lets probably take baby steps and see how much is possible. I am also hoping to put the word in others’ ears as well. So excited to see the larger potential of this project!

1 Like

Hi Mike, I saw your other thread announcing about the next steps for inclusion of more languages. That’s indeed a very exciting news. I too have a good news to share. All the 2015 audio files recorded so far in the Odia language have been migrated from CC-BY-SA 4.0 to CC-0 1.0 license which is now compatible for Common Voice, and are ready for including in the data download page. Thanks.

3 Likes

Great work @psubhashish! I will work with you to get Odia into Common Voice, and get your link up there. Expect an email shortly.

1 Like

Just a quick reminder here about this. Anything needed from my end?

For the download link? Nothing at this point. We haven’t been linking to anything but English datasets just yet. Once we start to add more datasets, we can put Odia up on an Odia datasets page. The goal for that to happen is sometime later this year.

1 Like

That explains. Thanks!