Adjusting our Branding

If you haven’t heard about it yet, I’d recommend you read the blog article on the new mozilla wordmark.

We should think about what this will mean for both our own wordmark (the mozilla.ch) and the positron [m^+].

I think there’s not much choice on the wordmark front. We can do what we’ve been doing and create one of the first TLDs in the moz:// protocol (so essentially [moz://a][.ch]) or go with a similar concept as the one exemplified for mozilla germany in the article. Or both, since there might be good reason to have a one-liner and a higher logo - like the video outlines for moz fest.

I want to note that especially in the moz://a.ch case eastereggs are to be had on the website. Either way we should opt for a more compact header in my opinion.

There currently aren’t too many guidelines yet on color usage, so it’s all a bit out there. But I’d be in favor of using the red from the logo with white text for our additional bit, at least if we don’t incorporate our national flag somehow.

The other question is what to do with our little logo/icon. Should we just replace the m to match the Zilla font? Or should we leave it as-is, or…

What do you think? Do you have a great idea of what we can do with the new brand to make it “ours”?

1 Like

Thanks for opening this discussion. Here are a few initial notes from me:

1. There are currently no guidelines, nor the font available. These will come within the next month or so. Let’s not rush into something we need to change again :slight_smile:
  2. This doesn’t mean we can’t start to think about it though

I agree that having a one-liner and a two-liner makes sense for us. However I personally would not go for the “.ch” but for “Switzerland” (and guess what, we can even localize that part :)) Maybe we could even bring the swiss flag into it like the German example, yeah.

For now I would leave it until there is a clear guideline. Once we need to change it, I would just change the m to the font and leave the +.

1 Like

They could try moderate comments there. Posted 24h ago, comment still not on sight.

The font is now available: https://github.com/mozilla/zilla-slab

I haven’t seen any definitive guidelines, but I haven’t been looking either.

There are none yet, but I know that Elio is experimenting with a few community logos currently.

Example:

I think that approach would work quite well for the Switzerland one as well. But as said, this is still experimenting and as far as I understand, the guidelines will be quite strict.

Here is a draft of what Elio came up with:

What do you think?

I’m okay with the logo, but then we need more colors on the page. Just black and red looks very unfriendly.