Thread: Add-ons not working due to certificate expiration

Hi, guys
Please manually set your time to 5/2/2019 or before. then download add-ons again. this will temp solve the problem. mozilla is crazy. how could they remote disable my add-on? DO NOT CHANGE your time back, otherwise mozilla will disable your add-ons again.

Looks like they’ve rolled back whatever change they made. I’ve set my time and date back to current, and everything’s working the way it was before.

Edit: It seems that while re-downloaded add-ons might continue to work after changing the date back (mine do, at least), the date needs to be rolled back to download any more.

For me the error is still there…hopefully they fix it fast.

I am having the same issue–ALL my addons are showing up corrupt on ALL our computers–come on man my kids do homework on their computers do you really think I want their stuff exposed because of Mozilla remotely disabled our addons–REALLY mozilla get it fixed!

2 Likes

I somehow miraculously managed to get my AdBlockPlus back. (Seriously, I don’t know if I could replicate that feat!)
Still missing all my themes. AND had to improvise concerning my Avira AntiVir. :frowning:

EDIT:
Nope, false alarm. It just got deactivated again! T_T
BTW. setting the date back to before The Snap (= 2019/05/02) does help. But! Then Mozilla might advise you to change back or else something(s) might not be able to work.

EDIT #2 (2019/05/05, 01:24 CET):
May the Fourth be with you! Well, maybe the Force was with me? :wink:
Or…‘Somebody’ snapped their fingers and everything was alright again?
Either way, as suddenly as the themes and add-ons disappeared, they’re back again!? :sweat_smile:
I do not know whether the enabling of the studies-things that’s been talked about was responsible for this spooky miracle or not but… I am happy nevertheless! :relaxed:

Thanky VERY MUCH to all the incredible people over at Mozilla who undoubtedly worked tirelessly to solve this crisis! :kissing_heart::kissing_closed_eyes::heart_eyes:
(And yes, I do know I might be a tad bit dramatic but come on! This IS a big issue! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that that’ll be a one-time thing, though. FYI, I did bookmark several other browsers just in case! :yum:)

1 Like

so approximately how many add-ons were affected? (apparently all the ones i use) did this also result in a “Download failed. Please check your connection.” error when trying to add new extensions?

1 Like

Same here. I refuse to use Firefox without an adblocker, so I’m off to Chrome.

4 Likes

Suddenly, just a few hours ago, I can not use my signed obfuscated extension. What’s wrong ? Isn’t it stated that this will go into effect on June 10, 2019 ?

2 Likes

Are all Add-On apps on hold now? I just get “Download Failed. Please check connection” while clearly online.

1 Like

thank you!, I literally step out for an hour and they disappeared, then found its way into the depreciated apps folder.
if its any help, overbiteWX was the only app that didn’t move into the legacy extensions folder…

14/16 of my addons. Even vue.js dev plugin, noscript and stylus.
I have only Fire drag and IMDB search working.

is this fixed yet? :slight_smile:

WTF FIREFOX!!! So how am I supposed to access all my websites with NO PASSWORD MANAGER!!! I got a business to run here I don’t need this bullshit! You just lost a long time user if this shit isn’t fixed like yesterday! Unbelievable you people have no concept of wtf you are doing to your users, obviously.

3 Likes

Firefox has a real problem. You’ve blocked Bitdefender (only the second most effective anti-virus on the web), and Startpage (one of the first sites to recognize the dangers of internet data-gathering and actually DO something about it!)??? Not to mention Adblock (who DOESN’T run Adblock?), my picture zoom utility, my video capture utility… All but one of my add-ons got nerfed by your last update! WTF?

I came to Firefox because it wasn’t “more of the same” crap from the establishment developers. I’d expect treatment like this from Microsoft or Google. Not from Mozilla. Guess I was wrong!

Any suggestions out there? What can I replace Firefox with that isn’t slaved into the Microsoft/Google/Apple multiplex? Does Linux make a browser that will run on Windows?

2 Likes

A certificate expired. It’s a huge goof. Conspiracy theories are not needed.

3 Likes

The gall, when they even post “Firefox is not made for profit, its made for its users.”
Well if you care that much you have till the end of the weekend before I scrap Firefox period.

Can’t believe I actually recommended this to people.

1 Like

Temporary fix via /r/Firefox: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkfg4f/is_there_no_way_to_force_the_disabled_plugins_to/emgaxhf?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x (worked for me in Ubuntu 18.04).

On my system, the issue appears to have disabled the extensions for Edge browser as well, suggesting it may not be an issue limited to FireFox.

Just went to a site that is famous for ads… and didn’t see one… and yet I get the same “Add-on disabled” messages for the two I use.

May have been lucky though…

Hey folks! This was due to a certificate issue and the team is currently working on a fix.

You can track progress on this thread: Certificate issue causing add-ons to be disabled or fail to install

6 Likes