Alternatives to and/or Updates to Theme and Font Changer?

Hi All – For new Thunderbird version 68.4.1 the Theme and Font Changer add-on is no longer compatible. I see that it has not been updated since 2018. This is a big problem for those of us needing new glasses as the font is too small and color contrasts too minimal without add-on assistance.

Does anyone have good alternative add-ons that work with version 68.4.1?

Updates on the likelihood of Theme and Font Changer being updated to be compatible?

Thanks,
Michael

1 Like

It’s clear from the support page of Theme Font & Size Changer that the author is not going to update this for TB68 (due to underlying changes in TB). And even if he did it would not survive long because this type of addon will not work at all in future.

It could be that in future (TB78+) someone might write an similar addon. But for now I think you’ll have to fall back to what TB itself provides in its preferences and, if that’s insufficient, a technology known as ‘useChrome.css’ - which has existed since the last century to modify sizes and colours on Firefox and Thunderbird - and still works to some extent. Unfortunately it’s a rather techie method - involving inserting files into your Thunderbird profile.

So, I suggest you forget addons for now and raise this as a question on the Thunderbird User Support site What exactly do you want - contrast and font sizes where - e.g. the compose window, the lists of emails, the buttons…?

See this recent question where both preferences and userChrome was suggested to solve a possibly similar question.

Good luck.

1 Like

DaveRo,

Thank you very much for the highly useful and direct advice on how to proceed. I am looking through these options. Appreciated.

I’m sure there are very good reasons for the changes, but kind of frustrating from an end user perspective!

I used to be more technical, I will put that hat on again and see what I can manage.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi there Michael and DaveRo,

It would be good to provide step by step instructions for the tech dunces like me if you find a work around. I use a mac and the font in the message list is way too small. All attempts to change the font only affect the message content not the message list, which i need to be able to visually scan without missing messages from important contacts.
I’ve been using Thunderbird for years and dont particularly want to try and transfer all my folders with different colour coding for different tags on particular emails to another program. I’m bound to lose something, such as tag colours, if I do.

Thanks

Kerrie

OK, so for dunces like me on mac, I have pulled together from a few threads what worked for me (I use a mac OS10.10.5 but I don’t think the mac OS will make a difference?) in case anyone else on mac stumbles on this thread.

(All I wanted to do was increase the font size in the email list pane of the inbox so that i can visually scan the list for important emails.)

In Thunderbird, go to Preferences/Advanced/General/Config. editor

Accept the responsibility for armageddon when the pop-up asks you (but the pane needs to be sized large enough to allow you to see the continue button in the popup, which it wasn’t the first couple of times I tried. For some reason it wont load the button in the popup if the pane is too small so you can’t scroll down to it unless you click when the pane is already larger)

Scroll down the list to layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

Double click that line to open the editor popup and change from the default (-1.0) to 1.1 (but others in different posts have preferred 1.2, 1.25, 2 and even 4. Start at 1.0 or 1.1 if you are worried it might be too big, and that is with no negative sign.)

Kerrie

1 Like

I have been trying to find a way to get Vijaya font added to TB as it is the font I have been using for the past 10 years in all my paperwork, emails n such. But I am not tech savvy and do not know how I would go about it or who to ask for help. Most email programs let you add new fonts to their programs. There is not even a font in there I could find that even comes close to Vijaya and like others I am having trouble trying to see the print in some of my emails. This TB s the closest email program I could find that comes close to the one I used to use. I hope the developer can give us an idea on how to get ad on fonts working along with font size available very soon. Or they might just fix the TB program to have what we need, time will tell God willing.

You add fonts to the operating system, not Thunderbird. TB asks the OS what fonts are installed.
How to add a font depends on what operating system you’re using - Windows, Mac, Linux…
Try searching for ‘add font to Windows 10’ or whatever. Or search for the name of the font and then ‘how to install in Windows 10’. Good luck.

Thank you DaveRo;

I did as you said and then I did find it in under format. But I am having a time trying to get it set to be the only font I use with the color and size. So it looks like I have my work cut out for me now. Again thank you very much.

Hello, Michael.

E-mails are corresponded large fonts, and Preference sets systemic fonts.
And,
Over version 78, You can use below add-ons.

1. Would you use https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/treechildrenheight50/ for thread and task tree fonts.
  2. Would you use https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/eventview/ for event description fonts.
  3. Would you use https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/taskviewstyles/ for task view description fonts.
  4. Would you use https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/taskdescriptions/ for dialog description fonts.

Sincerely.

Sungho.