AMO reviewer keeps trying to run the wrong extension & it's going to result in my addon being disabled

Hey all, looking for some suggestions on a very strange and incredibly frustrating experience with addons.mozilla.org.

I created an open-source addon for floatplane.com called “Floaty Boi” that has been well received by its handful of users. On April 24th, after pushing an update to AMO, I received notification that my addon would be disabled as it didn’t pass review. Included in the email was a paste of the log from the reviewer showing that the build failed.

Upon reviewing the logs, I noticed that they were for a completely different extension that had nothing to do with my own.

As you can see in the image, the logs are for a “dropbox-passwords” extension, not my own.

I immediately responded and the reviewer apologized within a day. They provided a new set of logs that showed them not following my provided instructions to get addon built, so I provided additional & more thorough step-by-step instructions via email.

That was on April 26th, it is now May 8th and my addon is set to be disabled tomorrow with no ability to get in touch with the reviewer. I received a reminder email citing the initial failure logs (the one that has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY EXTENSION) as the reason my addon will be disabled tomorrow.

There is absolutely nothing I can do, and the reviewer’s incompetence will lead to my addon being disabled + user frustration that will cause it to lose all momentum.

2 Likes

@the.devvy.boi It looks like it has been months and what you describe is very concerning. Has your issue been solved yet? If so, can you describe the solution so others may benefit?

Thanks for reaching out @MrCodeslayer2010 , unfortunately I never got a response nor a solution so I decided to abandon the project entirely.

I was ghosted by the AMO team and the addon was disabled despite repeated attempts to clarify the situation. It’s still up on the Chrome Webstore with a 5 star rating.

Hey @the.devvy.boi. On behalf of the AMO team I’m sorry about the poor experience you had with the review process. If you’re still interested in working on this project, I’d be happy to help you get past this hurdle and back on adding.mozilla.org.

Unfortunately your issue with review occurred during a period where we didn’t have anyone focused on community engagement. I’m happy to say that now we do have folks focused on this, namely me (DevRel Engineer) and @Edward_Sullivan (Community Manager). If any developers encounter issues with the review process, I’d encourage them to post here so me, Ed, or another team member can jump in to help.

1 Like