Announcing "Mozillian of the Month (February)" experiment event

Hi Mozillians,

You may know “Rep of the Month,” a monthly event to recognize the active and inspiring Reps for their work. In the past 7 years, more than 80 Reps had won this honor for their great work.

However, we all know - not only Rep - there are so many of you, as a Mission Driven Mozillian, contributing to different Mozilla projects, doing various activities, highly investing daily in support of the Mozilla’s Mission and Internet’s health, everywhere around the globe.

So the Reps Council create “Mozillian of the Month” experiment, a prize dedicated to all of the Mozillians. With the Reps’ help, we want to share your stories, learn from your efforts, and inspire other Mozillians to rock the internet together.

Nominations and Timeline

Nomination (-3/7)

The nomination starts from now (Feb 24, 18:00 UTC) to March 7 (1500 UTC). All Reps will nominate up to one Mozillian, by posting to the Discourse “Reps” category.

Voting (3/8-3/18)

By March 8, the Rep Council will announce voting start and post a thread on here (the Discourse “Mozillians” category), with the link to all nominees’ story.

Every Mozillians can vote to the nominee they want to encourage by “Liking” in that voting thread. The voting will last until March 18.

Result (3/18)

By March 18 15:00 UTC, the nominee who had the most “likes” in the voting thread, will win the “Mozillian of the Month (Feb 2019)” honor.

We will share the story with the rest of Mozilla-verse. In addition to this, we will also prepare a small swag for the winner of Mozillian of Month!

This is the experiment from the Mozilla Reps program. The Reps Council will evaluate after this trial, and decide if we want to make and improve it into a monthly event.

Irvin
On behalf of the Reps Council

2 Likes

Has this experiment ended? Now that there has been at least 5 months passed.

Has this evaluation been performed? Could you link to the evaluation report here?

If the experiment has ended, I have a question.

Why has this been restricted to “Reps”?

Mandatory reminder from Reps wiki:

Reps are not a power structure over other Mozillians; instead, they are here to help, empower and inspire people to contribute to Mozilla projects.

Hi Akshay,

You can check the resources about Feb, March and April experiment here, we quite agree that the result is good (you can check each post’s view and vote numbers), so we had decided to keep running MoM for July, August and October (nominating now).

That’s about the goal - encouraging Rep to take the mobilizer and coordinator’s role, help and facilitate local Mission-Driven Mozillians. That’s what Reps project would like a Rep to do - just as you quote - to help, empower and inspire people.

And this monthly honor is a tool that Rep Council want to provide to Rep to help visualize local volunteers, make them be seen, and could encourage them to do more. You can read the initial ideas on the very first post of this experiment event.

Irvin

Good. I agree that it is a good initiative.

Reps doing it is fine. I have no issues with reps doing things they should be doing (I do have issues with reps who don’t do their duty as I’ve been telling in different threads).

This is what I’m contesting. Why “honor” reps like this when they’ve already got these honors:

• Access to a global community which includes people from many different countries and cultural backgrounds
  • Direct support from Mozilla to help you empower others in your region to advance Mozilla’s goals
  • Opportunity to help your local community grow
  • Grow your leadership and communication skills and build networks with new people from many different countries around the globe
  • Amplify Mozilla’s impact in your local region and functional area.

If you seriously think this is a “honor” that should be restricted to reps, then I will have to start another thread to ask about what are the “honors” that a rep should have above a Mozillian. I think that’s better. I will start that right after this comment.

Unsure which post you’re linking to.

This is NOT a honor to Rep , this is a tool that help Rep to honor Mozillians.

1 Like

I’m sorry I mixed up the words there. But the question stands. Why restrict that tool to reps?

Because we want to encourage Reps take mentoring role. This is the tool to help them. As a program running by Reps, I specific design it to be focus on this specific goal, and be easier to carried out.

1. Rep mentoring, empowering, and nominating Mozillians.
  2. Mozillians voting, learning from the nominee’s story, grow advaced,
  3. and (if they like to help other,) eventually become a Rep to empowering more Mozillians