Assessment wanted for Marking up a letter (MDN)

Hi there,

This is my first assignment! Please let me know what you think!

/*StyleSheet*/ *{ line-height:20px; } li{ list-style-type:none; } .navbar{ float:right; }

.startdate1 li{
list-style-type:disc;

.mission {
color:purple;
}

<link rel="stylesheet" type="html/css" href="style.css" MDN Project
  • Dr. CoolPants
  • CoolSchool University
  • Cool Beans, CA 99999,
  • USA
  • TEL:012-123-3456
  • EMAIL:me@coolschool.edu
  • February 2020

• Miss Quack Quack
  • Duck Pond
  • Local Lake, NJ
  • USA
  • Re: Quack Quack University Application

Dear Quack,
    Thank you for your university application to CoolSchool University. We are pleased to say we have reviewed your application and we welcome you to our Ph.D program.

<h2>Starting Dates</h2>
   <section class="section">You are welcome more than welcome to join us at any of the upcoming semesters:
  <ul class="startdate1">
    <li>First Semester: March 1,2020</li>
    <li>Second Semester: March 2,2022</li>
    <li>Third Semester: Yolo Swag, 2099</li>
 </ul>

<p>Please do let us know when the most convenient starting date is. We hope to hear back from you soon. Excited to have on board.

You can find more information about
    <a href="https://coolschool.edu/important-dates/">
    important dates on our website.
    </a></p>
    </section>

<section class="section1">
    <p class="mission">
    <strong><em><h3>Our Mission</h3></strong></em><br>
    We aim to unite the smartest duck residents on our planet and to overthrow the inhabiting humans.</p>
    <p>We will no longer be on the lower end of the hierarchy of power and we will turn this entire planet into one giant duck pond.</p>
    <p>&Tab;Join us on global conquest. We need more intelligent ducks like you help us development necessary technologies that will aid us on our fight against the humans.</p><br>
    DUCK POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   <section>
     <p> To learn more about our <a href="https://coolpantsuniversity.edu/mission/">University Mission</a><br>
       Yours sincerely,<br>
       Dr. Coolpants

Contact via Email TEL:012-123-3456

I have a few questions. One, why won't my texts change to purple under .mission (class)? Two, why won't my .navbar (class) shift to the top right of the document?

Please let me know if there is anything I can improve on this assignment! :slight_smile:

There seems to be a formatting issue on this site.
Here is my codepen link: https://codepen.io/wingsolo/pen/LYVxJBy

@wingsolo I can’t mark this one very easily, as it is so different to the original text. Points for creativity, I guess :wink:

In general the HTML doesn’t look too bad. You need to be careful with proper nesting of HTML elements.

Your mission class wasn’t working because in the CSS you are missing a closing curly brace in the rule above the .mission rule, and secondly, your HTML around the “Our mission” heading is badly nested and the browser can’t make sense of it.

This would work:

<p class="mission">We aim to unite the smartest duck residents on our planet and to overthrow the inhabiting humans.</p>

Second, your navbar class is working — that bit of the text is shifting over to the right.

hi, how are you, this is my work in marking up letter, please kindly check and give feedback, thank you

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title>Assessment wanted for Marking up a letter</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <header>
      <address class="sender-column">
        <strong>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</strong><br>
        Awesome Science faculty<br>
        University of Awesome<br>
        Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
        USA<br>
        <strong>Tel</strong>: 123-456-7890<br>
        <strong>Email</strong>: no_reply@example.com<br>
        <time datetime="20-01-2016">20 January 2016</time>
      </address>
      <address>
        <strong>Miss Eileen Dover</strong><br>
        4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
        Dover, CT9 XXX<br>
        UK<br>
      </address>
    </header>
    <main>
      <article>
        <h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1>
        <p>Dear Eileen,</p>
        <p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part of your PhD next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the following sections.</p>
        <h2>Starting dates
         </h2>
        <p>We are happy to accommodate you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>
        <ul>
          <li>First semester: 9 September 2016</li>
          <li>Second semester: 15 January 2017</li>
          <li>Third semester: 2 May 2017</li>
        </ul>
        <p>Please let me know if this is ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>
        <p>You can find more information about <a href="http://example.com">important university dates</a> on our website.
</p>
        <h2>Subjects of study</h2>
        <p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open-minded research facility — as long as the subjects fall somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated researcher, and just the kind of person we'd like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued by are as follows, in order of priority:
</p>
        <ol>
          <li>Turning H2O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>.)</li>
          <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F), when the audience size exponentially increases (effect of 3 × 10<sup>3</sup> > 3 × 10<sup>4</sup>.)</li>
          <li>HTML and CSS constructs for representing musical scores.</li>
        </ol>
        <p>So please can you provide more information on each of these subjects, including how long you'd expect the research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.</p>
        <h2>Exotic dance moves</h2>
        <p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question, my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:</p>
        <dl>
          <dt>Polynesian chicken dance</dt>
          <dd>A little known but very influential dance dating back as far as 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>, a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock to be "fruitful".</dd>
          <dt>Icelandic brownian shuffle</dt>
          <dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shuffling their bodies around in imperceptibly tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired modern styles such as Twerking.</dd>
          <dt>Arctic robot dance</dt>
          <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s believed to have discovered a new dance style characterized by "robotic", stilted movements, being practiced by inhabitants of Northern Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was discovered that they were just moving like this because they were really cold.
</dd>
        </dl>
        <p>For more of my research, see my <a href="www.example.com">exotic dance research page</a>.</p>
      </article>
     </main>
    <footer>
      Yours sincerely,<br>
      Dr Eleanor Gaye<br>
      <br>
      University of Awesome motto: "Be awesome to each other." -- The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr>
    </footer>
  </body>
</html>

Hi there @Gumilar_Prastio; welcome to the community, and thanks for sending in your code!

I’ve looked this over, and it seems pretty good, all in all - well done on some good work!

There are a couple of bits I noticed:

• You are missing <time> elements from the three semester dates
  • Missing <sub> element from “H2O”
  • Missing <abbr> elements from “HTML” and “CSS”
  • In the footer you are using <br> elements to separate text out onto new lines, whereas this should really use <p> elements
  • The following bits needs to be turned into a proper inline quote — “Be awesome to each other.” – The memoirs of Bill S Preston, Esq". You’ll have to look up what HTML elements to use to do that.

Hey guys, looking for an assessment and any feedback on my Awesome University letter markup . Thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

@chrisdavidmills Thanks for looking over my code!
I totally missed that missing curly bracket!

Would it be better if I used less

tags?
I was a little confused on how to use that hahaha

Great, thank you so much for your feedback. it’s really helpful, seems like I wasn’t to careful in doing that, meticulous will be number one priority next time.