Automatic installation of Firefox Add-ons

Hi,

We were self-distributing our add-on as part of our application Software.
Users installing our software will get our Firefox add-on automatically loaded in Firefox based on Windows registry until Firefox 73.

In Windows Registry, we will add the following information and our add-on will be automatically installed in Firefox.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions

Key Name  Key Type  Key Value
[ADD_ON_ID]  REG_SZ  [LOCATION_OF_XPI_FILE]

However from Firefox 74, our add-on is not getting installed automatically.

We have also listed our add-on in AMO after the approval from Firefox for public use, but the add-on is still not installing automatically.

Is there any workaround/alternative way for automatically installing the add-on(or showing the “Add Extension” Popup) during our application install?

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj Kumar

See

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick response!
I have gone through that link about sideloading extensions, but I am interested to know, is there any workound/alternative way for automatically installing extensions starting from Firefox 74

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj kumar

There is no way to keep exactly the same flow, else that post would have pointed it out. For alternatives, check out https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/publish/distribute-for-desktop-apps/

Hi Martin,

The alternatives provided in that link require the users to install the add-on manually for the first time. We are trying to understand if there is a way to automatically install the add-on while installing our software on the user’s machine.

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj Kumar

As I said. You will have to ask the user to install the extension on their own behalf during your install flow.

Thanks for the confirmation Martin!